Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:31 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Quote:
Police believe speed was a factor in the Perth crash, which killed an eight-year-old, his parents and two of their friends.

The group's Nissan Pintara apparently failed to give way at a T-junction in east suburban Mirrabooka and was hit by a Holden Commodore driven by a 19-year-old man.

Sergeant John Madgen from the West Metropolitan Crash section said the Commodore was estimated to have been travelling between 90 and 100km/h in a 70km/h zone.

He said a blood sample had been taken from the Commodore driver for alcohol testing, but it could be up to a week before the results were known.

Police spokesman Graeme Clifford said another possible factor was the inexperience of the Commodore driver.

Those killed were the Nissan's driver, John Hamza Lumi, 47...

Source: News Interactive

So let me get this straight.

Some idiot mid-life fuckwit fails to give way at a T-junction, and the investigation points at the young driver as the prime suspect in the accident?

Get fucking real. How about posthumously checking Mr Lumi's blood alcohol level to see if he was tanked? How about considering that old fart's lack of ability behind the wheel?

Chances are the young driver was speeding, but then that's not unusual or isolated to 19 year old drivers. They were both doing something wrong at the time of the accident.

But, in terms of traffic flow, its the responsibility of the person at the Give Way / Stop sign to ensure that the road is clear before they enter it. I think that should take precedence, because its easier for a car that's not moving to continue in a stationary manner than it is to pull up a car doing 70km/hr (lets assume the other person is doing the speed limit) if someone just pulls out of a side street.

However, its not the case. They just investigate the 19 year old driver. What about the patriarch whose actions put his vehicle in an unsafe situation, exposing the least protecting angle of the car to an impact from a vehicle that has the right of way and moving at high speed? Where's the police investigation considering him as being at fault, and seeing what he was doing? Fucking nowhere. Why blame the old bloke when you can pick on the guy with no financial influence, who exists in an age demographic that has little political sway?

The kid's just been involved in an accident that's killed 4 people and been hospitalised himself. He's going to have to live with it for the rest of his life. Now you've got the cops only investigating his actions, when Mr "I Don't Need to Obey Street Signs that stop me from getting t-boned" doesn't get investigated at all. It'd be wrong to saddle him with all the blame, since its not solely his fault.

I can guarantee if the situation was reversed, and it was Mr 19 year old pulling out of a side street into oncoming traffic, the cops would be all over our young, inexperienced, impetuous drivers not obeying the traffic signs and road rules that were implemented to keep him safe. There wouldn't even be a mention of how fast the 47 year old guy was going.

But, its this kind of mentality that's just rife in the law at the moment, both in terms of the legislature (with the government laying blame and trying to restrict younger drivers as much as possible) and enforcement, where cops are more likely to pull over young drivers and stick them with fines.

And the cops wonder why kids have an "us vs them" mentality. How they're not that helpful, and are that spiteful. All they see is the cops leaning hard on them when older people get away with shit.

Its the "punish and restrict" mentality that causes accidents too. There's no culture in the government to actually educate these young drivers, and by stopping them from driving all you're doing is reducing the rate at which their experience increases. And, since the government says its inexperienced drivers that causes accidents (which I wholeheartedly agree), all they're doing is exacerbating the problem by extending that period.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:53 am 
T04 Hybrid

Car: ca18 s13, sr20det s13, hr31 gts, deawoo
sure its not his fault but he contributed to the severity of the crash by the fact he was speeding

and the cops can work out quite acuratly that he was speeding

poor fella but once again not his fault( hopefully he wasnt drunk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:59 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

He contributed to the severity of the crash by the fact that he was moving. The only way he could not have contributed is to have not been there, or not hit the other car.

I know the cops can work out quite accurately how fast he was going. Tyre marks, kinetic energy at impact, etc. All these things tell you how fast each party was going.

I did say that he contributed to the crash. There's no denying it. However, my point is that they're only investigating him as the party at fault (saying he was inexperienced, and possibly intoxicated) when the fuckwit who fails to give way at a t-intersection doesn't get checked at all. Because, guess what, the old fart contributed to it too. But, where's the accusations of his inexperience, and his blood test?

I'm tempted to start getting male pattern baldness and a beer gut, just so when I have an accident they won't investigate me for driving through a Stop sign after having just sunk a 6 pack.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:44 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 200SX Spec R GT
I agree with Scathing. This is complete bullshit. I've been in the exact some position. The first accident I had was in my S15. I had turned left into a street and a parked BMW was on the left side of the road. He decided to make a U-Turn right infront of me. I slammed on the breaks hoping to avoid a collision but he was too fucking close to do anything. I hit the right side/rear corner of his vehicle as he was turning. This guy knew he was at fault and didnt say much. When the cops arrived and asked for the details of the accident, he started yelling saying that I was speeding. Fucking smartass! If i had been a 40 yr old driver in a merc, the situation would have been simple. It would have been his fault, no doubt about it. But nooooooo..... since i was a 23yr old with a modified japanese sports car.... the suspicion was on me. I must have been speeding judging by the damage on the vehicles. BULL - FUCKING - SHIT ! The cop knew he couldnt prove i was speeding, so he didnt fine me. But if i would have been a 40 yr old, they would have fined the other driver on the spot for negligence. The accident occured less than 100 metres from the intersection. So how fast could i have been going? The insurance companies took it to court and they ruled in my favour. So the cop can shove that up his rectum after he pulls the existing dick out first. So much for innocent till proven guilty. That applies to everyone except those that are between 17-29 with a modified sports car. In our case its guilty until proven innocent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:10 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Dude.

Nice to hear you took it to court. Of course, your insurance company wouldn't have wanted to pay out repairs to a BMW... :)

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:07 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
Scathing wrote:
I'm tempted to start getting male pattern baldness and a beer gut, just so when I have an accident they won't investigate me for driving through a Stop sign after having just sunk a 6 pack.

HZRDUS wrote:
So much for innocent till proven guilty. That applies to everyone except those that are between 17-29 with a modified sports car. In our case its guilty until proven innocent.

Hey shut up guys, I am nearly there, bald, fat, and old.
But still drive a Yellow S15.

But seriously, could you imagine if the 19yr old in the commo was in a sil or WRX, case would already be closed.

Alan you really need to stop getting so worked up about these things, once you accept, that the world is fucked up and all things work against the demographic were are in the better.
Because if we keep fighting it, by the time the goverment changes their ways we will be in the demographic that we are actaully combating against know, at least the next generation might be better off, but what about us, we are the doomed ones. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:39 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Rob, Alan and co:
It is the job of you young people to keep fighting the system. That is your role in life. Not enough of you get angry enough to force change because you are all more comfortable with what is happening than you will admit.

If young people didn't get worked up about issues the world wouldn't change. Young and angry develops two ways:
1: Middle aged and complacent
2: Older and with the power to change the system

It is the job of the older and more powerful to either stave off the new generation of young and angry or to harness their energy.

In the Newspaper report that Alan quotes, I wonder how much of it has been sensationalised by the newspaper (what else did the cop say and in what context). Journalists and the media (my industry) loves to oversimplify and pick easy targets.

BTW, I don't really believe the cops pick on "young drivers in imports" any more than they pick on other groups. Ask the young drivers in hot falcodores and geminis. If you are really honest about it, you also have to admit that young drivers engage in more "risky" behaviour than older ones. Note: I'm not saying they are better or worse drivers.

(/old fart rant mode)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:54 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
There is only so much a minority can do, what I would like to see is companies like NRMA, and the likes in other states, that have a massive member, and we are talking massive member base, how many people you know are members, play a bigger role in voicing their members opinions to the goverment.
I would imagine that they would have some power and their suggestions would hold some weight, they should be the voice of their members and help to improve things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:19 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

I don't think its an imports-only thing. I know its young drivers of any stripe.

I'm sure your average P plater in a VS SS Commodore (which costs as much as a nice 180SX) with a new exhaust and phat rims gets hassled just as much as the 180 owner.

But when I head home of a morning, and see old women in Land Cruisers doing 60km/hr+ in a school zone, or your beat-up old Falcon belching more black smoke than a hotted up turbo with stock engine management, and never seeing those guys get hassled, it just shits me.

The problem is that we're in a minority that's not going to get any sympathy. The baby boomer generation could get all angry and effect change because they're from a generation where their parents bred like rabbits, and so if they all voted together it would be the majority. The old folk got shafted, and its a mindset that hasn't really left.

These days, with the baby boomers deciding to spend money on themselves rather than raising families, the average Australian is getting older, which means the younger votes carry less weight (and so the political party couldn't give a rat's ass about them).

So these days its the geriatrics and the young kids that get shafted.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
NOS is boss
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:24 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
the only way to get help for your cause (when you're in a minority) is to make it worth someone in power's while to support you. convince a party that enough young people will vote for them over the other mob if they work to make policy in your interest.

minorities have sway in far more areas than you'd think these days. look at the senate,the major parties suck up to independants to get their bills over the line.... minorities hold the balance of power.

we have an election coming up very soon,it's not too late to petition the parties for driver education....

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:56 pm 
T51

Car: S15
If it was a twisty road, or around a corner where visibility of on-coming traffic is poor, the person who was entering the T-junction may not have seen the coming car (who was speeding)... With what quoted from the story, it's hard to say what happened.. what the police did and did not consider (and their reasons for doing so) .. but I agree the media tends to sensationalise things ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:50 am 
T03

Car: none
HZRDUS wrote:
So much for innocent till proven guilty. That applies to everyone except those that are between 17-29 with a modified sports car. In our case its guilty until proven innocent.

u can say that again...

but i'd understand where the cops come from.... as my most friends (p platers) are the image perceived through the stereotypes

having said - that doesn't mean we do the wrong things all the time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:35 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
banzai wrote:
Rob, Alan and co:
It is the job of you young people to keep fighting the system. That is your role in life. Not enough of you get angry enough to force change because you are all more comfortable with what is happening than you will admit.

i agree with this, too many people have become accustomed to the mentality that, well the system is screwed and there is nothing we can do about it, so just forget it

also agree with what fergo said, the major problem though is organisation, and apathy. there isnt enough organisation within the young people to get together for this, because you will need as many numbers as possible to get any sort support from an existing party

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 am 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
how many members in this and the other performance car clubs??

together, we wouldnt me a minority!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:45 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
very very true, the problem is getting all these people together...
its a big thing to organise, and whos gonna do it ?