Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:11 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
An overhaul of traffic infringements -- more than tripling some fines and increasing demerit points -- has been defended by the Roads Minister, Carl Scully, as a "fairer" system. But the Opposition has criticised the move, saying it will bring the State Government a "huge windfall".

The 111 fixed speed cameras across NSW issue more speeding tickets and reap more revenue each year than the state's 900 highway patrol officers.

Source (and full article): Drive

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:58 am 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
yeh i saw this on the news

you can get fined more $$ and now also taken away 2 demerit points for double parking and / or parking on or near a pedestrian crossing.

Some fines are going up, like not obeying a police officer is like $220 and and not properly displaying license plates is up to like $220 as well

damn radar scanner - 9 points!!!! what a joke! Bullbars? so i cant fit bullbars on my 180??? 3 points ouch!! i saw a honda civic hatch with a bullbar last week i laughed at the guy.

Drivig with tv / vdu - 3 points now that is a scare to me cos i have a tv in the car - but i dont watch it my g/f does. i put it in there for her. does this also mean that say an apexi avcr or a blitz sbc id3 or a greddy profec is a vdu and you can get defected for it???????

drive to close to another vehicle to stop safely - i have never heard of this rule before or ever seen it being enforced - its too hard to judge and the cop will only book you if he is being a prick imo.

-mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:01 am 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: Tree Fiddy
Does satellite navigation count as having a distracting screen on board? Those things run while the car is moving.

I'd love to see some cop trying to book your high end BMW / Jaguar / Mercedes Benz driver, and then have Mr Well Heeled turn around and complain to the RTA / cops, and get off it.

If the charges stick, they'll just turn around to the car manufacturer and sue them for selling them a car that isn't road legal, and then watch those big companies lobby the government etc.

Go chrome or go home
Sneezin's Pleasin'
Da flutta is bred and butta
NOS is boss
Try to be different, just like everyone else
No boost? Ya just loost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:36 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: N14 Pulsar Q SR20DET
BLISTC wrote:
drive to close to another vehicle to stop safely - i have never heard of this rule before or ever seen it being enforced - its too hard to judge and the cop will only book you if he is being a prick imo.

dont know about that - if your going at 60km/h then by the "rules" u learnt as a learner, you should be about 50m away (3 seconds)

more reasonably this may be ~15m, but often u have people tailgating at less than 5m away, imo this is definitely a good rule. i get so many 4wds right up my tail, id just love to see them get busted, even if its only one a year.

rest of the changes are likely to suck though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:14 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
yeah i can understand the increase in fines and points etc. the government must need more and more money because they really need it to put back into the roads and driver education programs etc.

its a bit hard to put sarcasm into typing lol

thats fucked, seems that the cops can bust you for anything. My TV has the screen as the front of the unit, show everything on it. does this mean i can get busted for it?? i was also going to buy a GPS that plugged into my PDA, im now assuming this is illegal also!!

you cant fuggin win!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:59 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
Gov just is money hungry, i mean, how much surplus did they have this year, something in the order of 5 billion dollars..

If you are going to make such harsh penalties for drivers, i'd say there should be rewards as well, i mean, fuck its getting to the stupid point that id rather not drive a car...but then we would be stuck with teh fucking gay public transport system..

Hell, by that stage they will be fining and issuing a deremit points system for commuters on trains and busses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:13 pm 
T66

Car: CT9A Lancer Gli
ive got an alpine tv in my car, so it shows the cd moviing etc while cds are playing and a bright blue screen.

if i got pulled over and fined 3 points for that, i'll take the fkers to point.

this government has gone WAY too far. i used to always vote labor, but ever since we've had this labor government, this state and in particular for drivers, its gone down hill fast! can we make a political party for drivers like they do with gun owners? hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:02 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 94 Soarer GT
There's been TONNES of discussion about the TV thing on the Soarer forums - mainly because some Soarers come stock with a screen that displays TV, a reversing camera image and controls a lot of things inside the car such as the suspension controls, air con, etc.

There are a number of exemptions from the infringemant, including satellite navigation systems, vehicle monitoring systems and camera related systems.

So in other words, your sat nav systems are LEGAL. Your Apexi/Blitz/Greddy units are also LEGAL.

I'm planning on getting around the whole thing by hooking my sat nave thru my TV screen. If I get pulled over by a cop, pop up the sat nav instead of the movie. As if they are going to be able to tell the difference between the two from outside of the car?

:: edit ::

The actual Road Law wording is:
(2) This rule does not apply to the driver if:

(a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or displays, a destination sign or other bus sign; or
(b) the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver’s aid; or

(c) the driver or vehicle is exempt from this rule under another law of this jurisdiction.

Examples of drivers aids include:
Examples of driver’s aids
i. Closed-circuit television security cameras.
ii. Dispatch systems.
iii. Navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment.
iv. Rearview screens.
v. Ticket-issuing machines.
vi. Vehicle monitoring devices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:12 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
so is all this definately going through ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:56 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 94 Soarer GT
It all takes effect from February 1...