Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gearbox oil
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:08 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 180sx Type X
Heya peeps - I have tried to search this topic but I don't think my specific question or the issues I'm going to raise have been addressed before in any other thread - but feel free to trump me and link me if it has been :oops:

Ever since I bought the car (approx 3 years ago) the reverse gear has been a little bit crunchy, but since it's reverse it didn't bother me that much.

Past few weeks its been acting up going from 4th to 5th gear - gets a bit crunchy going into 5th.

Went to track last week and noticed afterwards (very obviously) the car didnt like going from 2nd into 1st gear while slowing down to come to a complete stop. Might have been overworked synchro's who knows. Was still like this 1-2 days afterwards, not as bad now, I just shift REALLY slowly to avoid crunch.

I know gearbox fluid is meant to be replaced every 40,000kms so its now long overdue for that (Bought car at 62,000kms and changed it then, now its on 112,000kms).

Spoke to mechy about this - he says brands like Redline seem to mask the problem of crunchy gears well but doesnt actually fix the mechanical problem. But might be more suitable for worn (old) gearboxes like my 12 yr old car.

I'm not up for a gearbox replacement or interchange anytime soon so my intentions are to make sure its not mangled, and to keep it in relative shape.

Also mentioned it could be related to something else - my clutch master cylinder was up for replacement.

So my question/s:

1) Anyone had problems going into 1st gear? Experience the same symptoms? What action fixed the problem?

2) Apart from Redline and Royal Purple are there any other reputable gearbox fluids suitable for my purposes - occasional track use (shifting at high RPMs) and street use.

3) Where can I go to get a bottle of Redline for a reasonable price that holds it in stock (you'd be suprised how many places don't have simple things like motul turbolight). I work full-time and need the oil by Thur.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers

8)

WTB:

Nissan Silvia underbody tray to suit 180sx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:11 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Yeah redline is the shit, i had problems shifting into 2nd gear and redline helped.

PM MrBean he had to buy some a few weeks back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:52 pm 
TO4

Car: none
My car has always had a disagreement with being made to go into 1st gear while slowing down coming to a complete stop. The only way to fix it into 1st gear while moving without doing crunching is to double clutch and match the revs 100% perfect and push it in force quickly but gently and it'll slip right in. I'm not that good so I don't even try, I'll practice on a car that has better 1st gear synchros.

I've changed the gearbox oil twice in my car only having done about 19,000kms since I got it. Tracking the car makes the gearbox oil go off fairly quickly and fresh oil really helps.

Josh at Proconcept put Motul Gear 300 in my gearbox and diff and I've been using that since he recommended it to me when I first got the car so thats what I have been using. Have yet to try any other gear oils though. I'd also like to give redline gear oil a try, so would be appreciated if people on here could post up where they got theirs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Thanks for the replies JayS14 & Chris. I PM'ed Mr Bean but no reply. Will do the calling rounds tomorrow and see who has stock and get off work early and go hunting...

Shockproof lightweight is the one I need yeh???

chris86 wrote:
My car has always had a disagreement with being made to go into 1st gear while slowing down coming to a complete stop. The only way to fix it into 1st gear while moving without doing crunching is to double clutch and match the revs 100% perfect and push it in force quickly but gently and it'll slip right in. I'm not that good so I don't even try, I'll practice on a car that has better 1st gear synchros.

I've changed the gearbox oil twice in my car only having done about 19,000kms since I got it. Tracking the car makes the gearbox oil go off fairly quickly and fresh oil really helps.

Josh at Proconcept put Motul Gear 300 in my gearbox and diff and I've been using that since he recommended it to me when I first got the car so thats what I have been using. Have yet to try any other gear oils though. I'd also like to give redline gear oil a try, so would be appreciated if people on here could post up where they got theirs.

Chris, sounds like we have the same problem - although it is strange for Josh to recommend you use Motul because he advised against it for me because I have a slightly more "worn" gearbox (even though it sounds like we have the same gear/synchros problem).

Will report back my price/location findings!

8)

WTB:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 pm 
Quad T78

jay.nismo wrote:
Shockproof lightweight is the one I need yeh???
yep thats the shit.

Oh look below every NSW reseler of REDLINE.

Last edited by JayS14 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 pm 
Quad T78

AUBURN — Autobarn - Auburn - STOCKIST

Contact Name:
Lindsay

Phone: 02 9648 7429
Fax: 02 9648 7420

Address:
1B Duck Street
AUBURN, 2144, NSW

Email: Pls phone
Speciality: Red Line stockist of WaterWetter, MTL & MT90 Gear Oils, Lightweight & Heavy Shockproof, 10W40 Engine Oil change @30,000kms.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLACKTOWN — Autobarn - Blacktown CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Tony Nguyen

Phone: 02 9676 4355
Fax: 02 9676 7750

Address:
32 Third Ave
BLACKTOWN, 2148, NSW

Email: sales@blacktown.autobarn.com.au
Speciality: Stockist of WaterWetter, MTL & MT90 Gearbox oil, 75W90 & 80W140 Wearproof Diff oil, Shockproofs, D4ATF for Automatics & Manual transmissions.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAMPBELLTOWN — Burson Auto Parts - Campbelltown CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Sales

Phone: 02 4626 6885
Fax: 02 4626 6818

Address:
Unit 1, 7 Mill Rd
CAMPBELLTOWN, 2560, NSW

Email: cambelltown@cap.cgl.com.au
Speciality: Carries a large range of Red Line Oils
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GREENACRE — Autobarn - Bankstown STOCKIST

Phone: 02 9793 9455
Fax: 02 9793 9655

Address:
2b, 222 Hume Hwy
GREENACRE, 2190, NSW

Speciality: Stockist of WaterWetter, Superlight & Lightweight & Heavy Shockproof gear oils.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KINGS PARK — Burson Auto Parts - Kings Park STOCK

Contact Name:
Sales

Phone: 02 9624 4988

Address:
Unit 4, 2 Garling Road
KINGS PARK, 2148, NSW

LAKEMBA — Fabre Australia

Phone: 02 9758 1966
Fax: 02 9758 1155

Address:
4 Frazer Street
LAKEMBA, 2195, NSW

Email: Please phone
Speciality: Distributors of Performance Race Oils including WaterWetter, Shockproofs & Diff Lockup Tuning Oils (NS range).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LIVERPOOL — Burson Auto Parts - Liverpool CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Sales

Phone: 02 8783 6363
Fax: 02 8783 6336

Address:
Unit 9, 380 Hoxton Park Road
LIVERPOOL, 2170, NSW

Email: richardr@burson.com.au
Speciality: Stockists of WaterWetter, Shockproofs, MTL & MT90 better shift gearbox oils, ATF's, 20W50, 15W50, 15W40Diesel, 10W40, 10W30, 5W40, 5W30 Street/Race oil change up to 30,000kms, Si-1 Injector Clean, 2Stroke Race/kart, Allsport & Watercraft, Assembly lube.
ORANGE — Canobolas Diesel

Contact Name:
Colin

Phone: 02 6362 2756

Address:
Ash Street (opposite Taberner Glass)
ORANGE, 2800, NSw

PARRAMATTA NTH — High Performance World CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Peter O'Rourke

Phone: 02 9630 2333

Address:
1 Bourke Street
PARRAMATTA NTH, 2151, NSW

Email: Please phn
Speciality: Stockist of 20W, 50W & 60 Race only Engine Oil, Si-1Injector Clean, WaterWetter, CV2 800% longer bearings grease, Assembly Lube, Shockproofs, 75W90 & 80W140 Wearproof Diff Oils, MTL & MT90 Shift improver gearbox oils, HighTemp ATF Dex III, Racing ATF.
PENRITH — Burson Auto Parts - Penrith CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Sales

Phone: 02 4732 4088
Fax: 02 4732 4133

Address:
14-16 Preston Street
PENRITH, 2750, NSW

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SMEATON GRANGE — Blizzard Racing CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Jamie Bliss

Phone: 02 4647 6195

Address:
Unit 1, 3 Samantha Place
SMEATON GRANGE, 2567, NSW

Speciality: Stockist of 60W, 50W, 40W, 30W, 20W & 10W race only engine oils plus all the lubricant trimmings in grease, injector clean etc.
SMITHFIELD — Burson Auto Parts - Smithfield CARRIES STOCK

Contact Name:
Sales

Phone: 02 9756 5470
Fax: 02 9756 5471

Address:
Unit 12, 49 Victoria St Cnr Justin St
SMITHFIELD, 2164, NSW

http://www.redlineoil.com.au/reseller-locations.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:01 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Sorry guys forgot to post:

Tracked down some dudes at Burson in Smithfield -

Speak to Scott - friendly dude and sold me shockproof lightweight 3.8L (1 US gallon) for trade price $125.

Please note that the address in the abovementioned post is actually wrong... apparently they moved location 2 months ago...

Burson Auto Parts (previously in Smithfield)
Unit 2, 31 Elizabeth St Wetherill Park
(phone number is still the same)

They regularly keep shockproof lightweight in stock... skyblue bottle for the noobs like me.

Will let you know if I feel a massive difference after track day

:D

P.S. Thanks for all your posting JayS14!!!

WTB:

Last edited by jay.nismo on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:04 pm 
Quad T78

It was in a red bottle when mrbean got me some, i wonder if its the same stuff or just new bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:24 pm 
T03 Hybrid

JayS14 wrote:
It was in a red bottle when mrbean got me some, i wonder if its the same stuff or just new bottle.

Sorry correction:

Comes in RED bottle with SKY BLUE label.

I'll take a photo and upload it... LOL.

WTB:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:40 am 
T66 Hybrid

Car: S15
smurfs blood.. its good stuff, i got it in my gearbox and Diff and it works well.

quick question how many people do use it for thier DIff, i have heard mixed opinions on this some say its all good as supposly Redline shockproof is a GL4/5 and others say its shouldnt be used, i havent had any problems but just want to know what you all think.