Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clutch adjustment on S15
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:03 pm 
T51

Car: Nissan S15
I want to bring the engagement/release point up of the clutch up a little!
I have looked in the manual, but the C shaped bracket that connects the brake master cylinder shaft and the brake pedal arm can not be disengaged completely!
The C bracket is threaded (it screws onto the end of the master cylinder shaft) and has a lock nut! I can undo the locknut and I can
rotate the C bracket a little, but it interferes with the clutch pedal arm! You can only get about 10 degrees of movement between them, which is not enough to screw the C bracket in or out on the brake master cylinder shaft! I also tried popping the lockpin and pulling the pin that connects the bracket to the brake arm!
The problem is, you can not separate the C bracket and the brake pedal arm far enough, to rotate the C bracket on the brake master cylinder shaft. This rotation moves the C braket along the shaft and adjusts the engagement/release point of the clutch!
Does anyone know how to adjust the clutch on the S15, without pulling the whole brake pedal assembly apart? There must be an easy way of doing it?

Cheers! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:47 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
hmm id like to adjust my clutch so that it comes out a little closer to the floor. its all close to the top. maybe my clutch is just wearing out :( i hope not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:28 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
you're halfway there,as you know which bits you have to adjust. you don't have to take the actual clevis pin or it's bracket off of the master cylinder pushrod though,you can adjust things in situ.

you need a 12mm open ender for the lock nut(get a good one for this,if you round it you're up for a LOT of extra work later on),and a 14mm to adjust the pedal stop bolt.
you'll also want a good pair of long nosed pliers to do the actual adjustment.

back the stop bolt off until you have about an inch of freeplay in the pedal
(wind it out half an inch or so,remembering it's original position).

now squeeze under the dash and loosen the locknut on the master cylinder pushrod.
once this is loose,grab your long nose pliers,and rotate the rod itself.
you'll only need to go half a turn most likely to get the setting you want.

now nip up the locknut,wind the pedal stop back in,and set it so you have the same pedal height as before.

if you've done it right,you'll have about half an inch of freeplay in the pedal in total,and the pedal should move a few mm before you move the master cylinder pushrod AT ALL. this clearance is crucial. get this wrong,and you block off the compensation port in the master cylinder,which means a slipping clutch after you've been driving for a while,as the fluid heats up,and you've blocked the relief port off...instant preload.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:57 am 
T51

Car: Nissan S15
Thanks for your help, Fergo308!

I actually played with the stop bolt as well, but since it is only adjusted the free play o the clutch pedal, I put it back where it was and left it at that!
If I get your drift (HeHe!), clutch take up adjustment is done by rotating the shaft of the master cylinder relative to the C shaped bracket! Thinking about it, that is the only way you could do it, without pulling the whole lot apart!
One question though, when you turn the shaft, wouldn't you turn the piston inside the master cylinder with it? Could you damage the piston ring seals that way?

Cheers! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:11 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
Silver_Streak wrote:
Thanks for your help, Fergo308!

One question though, when you turn the shaft, wouldn't you turn the piston inside the master cylinder with it? Could you damage the piston ring seals that way?

Cheers! :D

no worries.

as for the question on the cylinder seals,no,turning the pushrod won't affect the master cylinder at all. the end of the pushrod is a ball joint which free spins on the end plate of the master. you can't do any damage.

Justin...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 pm 
Twin T66

Car: S15
quite an old thread but i thought i'd do a bump as i have a question... clutch on my s15 appears to be working fine, however there is not alot of travel until it hits the ground, is there something else i should be looking at or should i adjust the pedal 'up' so there is more travel (space between pedal and floor pan) s15 is 100% stock.