Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:07 am 
T03

Car: 1998 200sx S14a
Hey Guys!

hows everyone been? its been awhile xD

today i was driving and the car suddenly switched off, the dials on the cluster dropped straight down, the lights for the abs/check/abs/airbag etc flashed a few times before going popping up solid and you can here a 'zzz zzz' noise.
when i step on accelerate and down gear there are times that it just suddenly goes back on and drives them back again and once or twice the cluster lights e.g the abs lights stays solid on then switches off again. very dangerous on the M5...

on the way back from home i drove it under 3k rev and under 70kms and i made it home, did about 30kms.

does anyone have any idea what the hell is going on?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: Zenki S14
What a frustrating problem, PITA! But weeks later I'd suggest you've got it sorted? If not;

First thing I check is the loom that runs through the drivers side front wheel arch into the engine bay. If this is your issue, remove your front guard, replace damaged wires/insulation and relocate the wiring loom further up 'into' the guard.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:58 pm 
T03

Car: 1998 200sx S14a
Hey Vex!

yeah man i got it all sorted out, it was the turbo timer... it was melting from the inside out, not the device itself but part of the wiring harness thats hooked up to all the alarm/ignition and other wires, hence the problem why it was shutting off and back on again at any given time. the worse part of it was when you take it to an auto electrician and mechanic the symptoms dont show up. electrical gremlins.
it was when i drove it home i had the windows up and i could smell something burning, took the covers off the steering wheel and there it was melting, so i stripped it all out and soldered the wiring back to its original. got rid of the TT, i rather take it off boost when i know im going to park the car then to get another one and risk it.