Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:30 pm 
T03

Car: 1998 200sx S14a
Hey All,

about 6 months back i noticed some oil leak around the timing cover/case area but because the drips were slow i kept my eye on it and wiped it down once in awhile to keep in check. 6 months later (today) it has started dripping on the ground and time to fork out money to fix it.

from looking at it under the car it seems i have to take a fair bit of things out. would i need to remove the sump as well? :(

also the timing chain/tensioner makes a slight rattle when i start the car and then you dont hear from it again. seems to happen on cold start no sounds while driving/thrashing.

since i will be removing most things out, i might as well change the front main seal, should i be getting the complete timing chain kit+tensioner while im at it? i think Taark from Nissansilvia sells those..

Cars about 170k km on the odometer and i dont think the timing chain has ever been changed.

so i have to reseal the timing case/cover, change the front main seal and either change the tensioner only or should i just man up and do the tensioner and timing chain+guide etc all at once?

not sure how serverely worn it is as i havent removed anything yet, dont have the expertise for that one yet haha :P

Thanks all!

and have a great long weekend!
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:48 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
it really depends on where the leak is exactly.

The rattle on startup is not really an issue apart from being annoying.

Doing the timing cover is a bit of a pain, so it might be worth cleaning it up thoroughly and then keeping a close eye on it for a few days to be 100% sure where the leak is coming from - before you spend time and money on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:35 pm 
T03

Hey Dumhed!

actually that is good advice, i tend to get all hyped up and fix things "while im there" when things tend to happen 8)

i'll have a closer look at it tomorrow morning, but roughly during the arvo i could see where the leak is when i stand in front of the car, engine oil has also dropped from the H line by a tiny bit. will need to go under it and see where else its coming from, seems to have a few drops when left parked for a few hours possibly more overnight or driving?
but not so much that i'll be using up a lot of oil to top up yet.

see how it goes thanks man!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:13 pm 
T03

after giving it a good degrease and clean, its been about a week now and i've been tracing the oil leaks as best i can after work, got it on the hoist earlier today and found that the leaks are coming from:

the timing case bolt - should i just change the timing chain while im at it or just reseal it?
front main seal - never been changed so i guess its time...
top and lower sump area - never been changed the gaskets have had it i guess.

also in about 2 weeks time i did lose a noticable amount of oil as my knock levels would be around 16-18 on 3500rpm sometimes, after topping it up its all good, getting all these fixed now.

lifes a bitch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:04 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
FuknPknBro wrote:
the timing case bolt - should i just change the timing chain while im at it or just reseal it?
front main seal - never been changed so i guess its time...
top and lower sump area - never been changed the gaskets have had it i guess.

I'd try tightening the bolts and maybe adding some sealant if necessary.
Zero cost option that might fix it and save a lot of work.
The timing chain doesn't need changing unless it's mega noisy.

Front main seal is a much smaller job than doing the timing cover, so if you can get away with not doing the timing cover it's not too bad.

The lower sump (steel) section is just sealed with silicone, so it's not a big hassle to remove it, clean it up, and re-seal.
If the top part of the oil pan is leaking it's a bigger job because the engine or the crossmember has to come out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 pm 
T03

Hey Dumhed!

thanks for the info, i've been working with my friend all day at his shop on the hoist, and we've tightened the bolts and resealed it, changed the front main seal, unfortunately for me the top part of the sump is leaking as well as the bottom part. so it was a fair bit of hours taking everything out...
also found some leakage around the oil filter housing, the 2 o-rings need to be replaced...
took all day to get to it and we aren't done yet possibly get it finished tomorrow, just need to grab the o-rings tomorrow. what a day...

good to see the car stripped though... 8)

also found a fair bit of carbon deposit.... strange though i've been using motul semi synthetic for all its life and regularly changing oil, last 3-4 services i've been using fully synthetic mobil oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
FuknPknBro wrote:
also found a fair bit of carbon deposit.... strange though i've been using motul semi synthetic for all its life and regularly changing oil, last 3-4 services i've been using fully synthetic mobil oil.

All it's life? So,you bought the car brand new,and have changed the oil religiously since '98,and it's never once gotten hot enough to carbon up in all that time?

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:38 pm 
T03

Hey Fergo,

ah should've rephrased that, since it was owned by my brother 2nd hand in 2002. then again i cant always vouch for every single service, though the last time i had the rocker cover off it was still golden inside which was about 6 months ago, now its just covered in black.