Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold Start Issues
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:19 am 
T03

Car: 1998 200sx S14a
Hey All,

with the weather getting cooler in the afternoons and coldest in the mornings i.e. car left overnight or 8-9hours, i noticed the car seems to 'struggle' to start on first try but always starts on the 2nd or 3rd attempt (turning the key).

now i've told this to a mechanic of mine and basically this started to happen AFTER i got my car back from the tuner, the battery was changed to a new one 3 weeks ago. the mechanic told me that its possible that the tuner did not tune for cold start, which to my simple mind makes sense in a way because i never left my car there overnight and a few little things like jumping idle and high idling when cold has deducted points on his work, he seemed to have completed the tune in about 4-5 hours.

Wondering if anyone else has this issue? is it possible its something else? or is the mechanic correct?

i freak out every morning and after work when im trying to start it and it doesnt.... then 2 more tries and it starts everytime 8)
started happening in the last 2 weeks with the cooler weather and rain.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 am 
T03

Did a search...

sounds like similar symptons to others experienced years back, though the car doesnt stall or nothing, no loss of power etc.

i'll take it to unigroup and again get it tuned....

unless im missing anything let me know!

Cheers guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Just curious but does the starter sound like it is spinning slower on the first attempt to start it, compared to the second and third or are all three equal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:25 am 
T03

hey man,

the starter sound when starting the car are equal on 1st to 3rd tries.

could it be something else? im curious to know why you asked,
if you will enlighten me :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:33 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Well not wanting to automatically jump to the conclusion that it is a tuning issue, sometimes it pays to look outside the obvious. For example if you had said that it turns over slower on the first crank it might point to the starter sticking after being sat for a while, and if it wasn't cranking fast enough to fire that could mean a second or third attempt.

The other item that comes to mind is... is there fuel there when you crank over for the first time? If for some reason it takes a while to get the fuel up or it drains back you may need the first or second crank just to get the fuel up...

Failing a starter issue and having fuel available it does point somewhat to a cold start tuning issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:20 am 
T03

Hey All!

Thanks 182Go for the information and enlightenment.

i thought i'll just give a brief update on the situation,
the cars been at unigroup for nearly 2 weeks now, and yavuz is doing tests to see why the car only on cold start seems to struggle to start, (the car is warm it starts perfectly).
he has contacted me and updated me on the tests his done and also told me the next few steps he'll take when his tests are complete if the cold start issue still exists (he'll also get other people to have a look at it if he cant solve it)

he had a look at the pressure, starter signals, sensors and their all working fine. he has a few more tests to do before coming back with other options.

dam why do i get all the funny problems. hope i get the car back asap i know this is going to be expensive 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:02 pm 
T03

Solved!

just got a phone call and they found the problem, its the Harness not supplying enough power!

thank the gods. 8)