Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 am 
T03

Car: 1992 Nissan 180sx ::SiL80::
cracked my standard radiator on the F3 this morning 1" crack just left of were the top hose connects up on the 180... i managed to notice we were in trouble before i toasted the car ( still got pretty hot water pump and gaskets around the turbo will be inspected in the morning ), lucky for me i had enough water in the car to refill the radiator so i manage to baby the car to the closest auto shop without the radiator cap on... patched up with some plastic weld in a 2 part tube it suprisingly got me home wihtout any further drama... ( lol prolly last forever but im not interested to find out ill put this radiator aside as a spair for now )

anyways time for a new radiator, not sure if i should seek out another genuin radiator if i should give an aftermarket ally tank a go...

not fussy when it comes to eletric thermos im happy with the engin fan configuration so a drop in upgrade would suit me fine...
oh yer its to suit a sr20det if your wondering :DDD
any tips people??? im not one to brand whore however im not one to cheap out on compramised parts either...
dollar for purpose!!!

thanks
Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
If the stock one is doing the job for you then i'd just replace it with another stocker.

If you feel the urge to upgrade then the ASI radiators on ebay get fairly good reviews considering their price. I run an ebay 40mm unit in my track s13 with no issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:12 pm 
TO4

Car: 200sx s14 series 2
hey man i got spare end tanks if you want pm me $30 each my radiator core busted so i kept the endtanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:18 pm 
T03

hahas ill pass on the top tanks,

btw i got in contact with the people that make asi radiators they look like they will do the job nice, they have a 52mm unit available im pretty sure it will squeeze in as a drop in upgrade if not ill order some eletric thermos and do the whole lot...

i looked at some images of the asi tanks however i couldnt see the overflow connection but im just guessing it was the poor image, im getting a squeel coming from under the hood as well i have a feeling its the water pump so wile i got the radiator out im going to do a genuin water pump and brand new radiator hoeses...

radiator, hoese, water pump, thermostat
X_x!!!

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:50 pm 
T03

badhairdave wrote:
If the stock one is doing the job for you then i'd just replace it with another stocker.

If you feel the urge to upgrade then the ASI radiators on ebay get fairly good reviews considering their price. I run an ebay 40mm unit in my track s13 with no issues.

just thinking about it now,
what combination are you running in ur track car if you dont mind me asking, engin fan / eletric thermos? oem thermostat / or low temp thermostat?

im going to order a new thermostat as well but since the car is daily driven im thinking i should prolly stick to an oem thermostat and engin fan configuration...

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:42 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

I run an r32 factory fan and shroud in mine as i have relocated the radiator further back into the engine bay.

I was previously running a stock thermostat but have swapped to a nismo recently more to give a bit more safety margin than any cooling issues with the stock one.

I haven't run it with the new thermostat yet so no idea if it will make a difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:58 pm 
T03

nismo low temp thermostat?

im going to order one of thoes radiators i have a feeling 52mm is a bit thick so im going to retain factory shroud and fan and see how that goes, im also going to order a new thermostat for the hell of it knowing my luck ill fix all that shit then need a thermostat lol..

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

yeah, 62 degree vs factory 76

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:07 pm 
T03

hmmm maybe i should just order a low temp thermo since the new radiator is going to be bigger and run cooler the stock thermostat might not get the chance to open ( im a complete aftermarket radiator noob in my past silvia and 200sx iv always retained the factory setup never paid much attention into these )

Kurtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:00 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
stock thermo will still work,it'll just take slightly longer to open as you will have a larger volume of coolant in the system.

I've never seen the point to lower temp thermostats. I don't see any benefit to be had from lowering the thermostat's opening temp.
Once the engine is above the operating temp,and the thermo is open,you have full flow of coolant.
Running the car hard is not going to see the temp drop below the thermostat's set temp (quite the oppsoite actually),so what difference does it make,other than extending the time it takes for the system to get to the factory operating temp by opening early and giving premature coolant flow?

If the system is overheating under load,a lower temp thermo isn't going to help any. You have other issues that you need to address.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:43 pm 
TO4

Car: CBR250RR
Don't bother with those high temp thermostats, you have a street car, use a OEM thermostat.

As for radiators, ASI will do the trick, not the duck's nuts of radiators, but performs a tad better than stockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:53 pm 
T03

asi dont have any 42mm in stock they only got some 52s but i have a feeling its to big, since im going to retain the stock shroud and engin fan im not sure its going to fit right either

X_x

Kurtis