Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:12 pm 
T25

Car: S15 Spec R
Hi Guys,

A recent fuel supply issue to my engine made me inspect my in-tank Bosch 040 fuel pump. I discovered that the in-tank hoses from the fuel pump to the fuel tank plate had severely perished and were leaking. Obviously the mechanic had used the wrong type of hose for this to occur when he installed the upgraded pump. :( I replaced the perished hoses with proper in-tank hoses. The bottom screen filter of the fuel pump was covered in black crap (most likely small rubber particles from the old hoses) and I removed it as best possible using an old brush with a bit of petrol and also fitted a new fuel filter just in case. Fuel pressure went back up to normal at idle, but after taking it for a spirited drive fuel pressure had dropped again. I removed the fuel pump once more and noticed that there was a build up of crap on the fuel pump screen filter again. I'm beginning to think that this fuel pump might be on its way out after having been subjected to the crap in the tank from the perished hoses. If I simply replace it with a brand new Bosch 040 pump, the same thing will probably happen again in a short while. So I'm thinking that I will need to remove the entire fuel tank from the S15 and give it a proper clean before fitting a new pump. Has anyone removed their fuel tank before? It looks like a lot of work. Centre exhaust has to be removed, rear subframe and diff dropped, drive shaft removed etc. The tank appears to be plastic and I cannot see any drain holes which would make life a lot easier. Can anyone offer any advice / recommendations?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
You've guessed right,it's a PITA job to do. removing the tank and flushing the lines is the only way to clear the system properly.

justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:44 am 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
the tank is positioned where it is so that Nissan can absolutely minimise the chances of being sued by the sort of American knobs that currently "soft pedal" Honda and are making Toyota's life a misery. If you pull the tank then really clean it properly. In the day this was recommended to be a 2 step process - 3-4 cups of gravel and a caustic soda/water mix followed by a hand full of 1/4 inch ball bearings and metho / kero in a James Bond styleee. (shaken not stirred)

Given that those instructions were for metal tanks, you could be a bit less agro - but you get the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:19 am 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Also you can call around a few radiator shops as some or them will will presher clean a tank for you...