Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:07 am 
T78

Car: xxxxx
Heya,

After thrashing the car at the track on the weekend I may have broken my gearbox, it doesn’t go into 3rd or 4th gear, and it makes a bit of a noise when in reverse. Is there anything which could cause this which I might be able to fix, the box was working fine with no syncro noise beforehand except it did make a slight noise when getting into reverse sometimes. Also the shifter felt increasingly sloppy when in neutral, seemed like a lot of play compared to my 180 box.

Any ideas? Broken selector or something similar? Also, if I ended up getting a CA box what is involved in getting this to work on an SR, is it just the bellhousings which need to be swapped, is this just a bolt on bolt off affair or is more effort required?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
CA box just needs the bellhousing swapped, the 5th gear ratio is shorter too which will probably annoy you if you use the car on the road.

Sounds like the syncros or the bearings are stuffed on the 3rd/4th gear (they both lie on the same shaft thingo and there is a syncro ring etc etc between the gears).
Sometimes the syncros are fine but the bearings are stuffed and it doesn't work, i think because the bearings are dragging too much for the syncro to work or whatever.

Not sure i'm hardly a gearbox expert, unfortunately haha.