Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 am 
T78

Car: xxxxx
Hey guys,

I am looking at changing the turbo setup in my drift car to something a little more responsive and useful for time attack. I want to go the following:

T28 Turbo Bush or BB
740cc or 555cc or 470cc injectors
Z32 AFM
FMIC
3 inch exhaust, no cat
Power FC or Nistune
Cams??

I am looking at chasing 200+rwkw on 98RON, the more responsive the better but I would also like top end power as its primarily a drift car.

So which parts are required to reach my goal, bearing in mind that it currently it has (180sx Blacktop SR20DET):

Apexi RX6 Turbo with ext gate
740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
FMIC
3 inch exhaust, no cat
Power FC tuned to 217rwkw @16psi on 100RON

Is it necessary to go BB or will a Bush bearing suffice?
I want this retuned to run 98RON fuel so if I keep with the 740cc injectors would only a little bit of fine tuning be needed? Or if it I needed a full tune anyway would 555cc injectors be alright, or even 470cc injectors?
Would a Nistune be alright? As if I can sell the Power FC and get a Nistune board to save some cash that would be good but then tuning costs need to be factored in.
Would I need Cams? Would it be more responsive with Cams and if so which ones should I get?

Basically I want to be able to do the swap over with some (as much) extra coin in my pocket as possible to help pay for tyres/entrance fees etc-

Any thoughts???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
IMO, about the best 200rwkw SR20 is the following

HKS 2530 (or disco potato with 0.63 exhaust)
Step 1 cams
nistune
555's (or 740s)
fmic
exhaust

Thats all

You will get a graph similar to this

It is an excellent combo for drift or circuit.

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 pm 
T78

Sweet,

But I will definitely be getting a OEM T28 as I want the turbo to be easily replaceable and cheap. I also want to carry a spare around in case it dies at the track, I cant really afford to have a 2530 lying around doing nothing. I guess I need to find out about the tuning side of things as if I need a full tune I might as well go stage 1 cams and sell the power FC and get a nistune. But if the tune and maps will still be semi-usable if I downgrade the turbo then I might end up keeping the power fc and having it tweaked if it will cost less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm 
TO4

Car: Mazda 3 MPS
I've recently bought a new S13, and it makes over 200rwkw from the T28, so it's certainly doable. Engine mods are very similar to TMB's list

T28BB turbo
Step 1 cams
Power FC
550's
Front mount
Exhaust
Profec B II set to 15psi

Makes 213rwkw. Also very responsive, as you would expect.

I'll see if I have a soft copy of the dyno sheet.

You're going to require some additional tuning to get the most of your new setup, so surely it would be more cost effective to hang on to the Power FC and get it retuned with the new gear than buying a Nistune (which will also need tuning)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 pm 
T78

Woah….15psi!! Nice! I am currently only getting 180rwkw out of my 180 with a t28 running 16psi, but that is rich as fuck….

Will a ball bearing make much of a difference though? How about the cams, what spec are your running?

Also do you know your injector duty cycle? I want to see if it is still doable with S15 470cc injectors.

When do you start building boost and when do you get full boost? It looks like I might be leaning towards cams if I need a re-tune anyways. But if I need a complete re-tune then the nistune might be the cheaper option considering my current tune would be useless as that would be the only reason why I would keep the FC as I can sell it for $800 ish and pick up a Nistune for $300 ish so the extra $500 could be used for the tuning costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Ok here is another graph from a car i owned

S15 BB turbo
FMIC
3in turbo back
Step 1 cams
~11psi
Stock S13 ECU, injectors and afm. NO REMAP

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:29 pm 
T78

Stock injectors, ecu and afm?? I though the stock injectors and AFM maxed out at 180rwkw and you needed a re-tune for cams?? So maybe S15 injectors might be enough??

I noticed all these figures are from an S15 BB turbo, would this make that much difference in responsiveness and power if I ended up going bush bearing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:36 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
I'm making 190rwkw from:
Plain bearing S15 turbo at 16psi
S15 injectors
PLMS tuned ROM
Z32 AFM

I'd like cams but could never actually be bothered getting around to buying them. It goes just fine really to be honest.

EDIT: BB makes 3/5ths of FA difference in my opinion. My old car had a BB S14 T28 and it felt the same as my plain S15 T28.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
too_much_boost wrote:
Ok here is another graph from a car i owned

S15 BB turbo
FMIC
3in turbo back
Step 1 cams
~11psi
Stock S13 ECU, injectors and afm. NO REMAP

freak runs don't count.

any particular reason for down sizing? For a circuit car what you have isn't a bad setup. You'd see massive gains with a bit more boost and some cams (and a retune obviously).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:22 am 
T78

I am downsizing as I want to bring a spare turbo to the track in case my one blows as I will be doing interstate stuff this year, I cant really afford to have a spare rx6 turbo, (that and they are rare as hens teeth). I will also be changin the exhaust system to adhere to marulans 90db limit so I will need to get rid of the external gate as well, and need to retune the ecu to 98 RON so may as well do it all at once.

I have also been looking at cams since they make a bit of difference. For a cheap upgrade Im looking at some SR20DE cams but might end up going HKS stage 1, but Im not sure if this warrants the extra 350 bucks I will need to spend on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
Killabeez wrote:
I will also be changin the exhaust system to adhere to marulans 90db limit so I will need to get rid of the external gate as well,.

ill be doing the same :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 pm 
TO4

Car: Mazda 3 MPS
Killabeez wrote:

Will a ball bearing make much of a difference though? How about the cams, what spec are your running?

Also do you know your injector duty cycle? I want to see if it is still doable with S15 470cc injectors.

When do you start building boost and when do you get full boost? It looks like I might be leaning towards cams if I need a re-tune anyways. But if I need a complete re-tune then the nistune might be the cheaper option considering my current tune would be useless as that would be the only reason why I would keep the FC as I can sell it for $800 ish and pick up a Nistune for $300 ish so the extra $500 could be used for the tuning costs.

Yeah from what i've read the difference in spool between BB and non-BB is SFA - something in the order of 5% - and in the articles i've read they were debating whether that was down to other parts of the turbo's design, rather than just the bearings anyway.

I don't know the exact spec of the cams, but they're HKS step 1's.

Injector duty cycle is around 85% at WOT, so not a lot of headroom. It sounds as if S15 ones might be a bit dicey for your power goal.

Boost starts building from 2500rpm and it's full boost by 3500-3700. It's a great package, I love it.

I didn't realise the Nistune ECU's were so cheap! Considering how highly people speak of them (and the results), they are a steal at that price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:10 pm 
T78

Sweet, Well I almost have a decision made, looks like I will go

T28 Turbo Bush bearing
Nismo 740cc injectors (as they are already installed)
Z32 AFM
FMIC
3 inch exhaust, no cat
Power FC
Tuned length SS manifold
Blitz dsbc

Still unsure of which cams though, either SR20DE cams or HKS step 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 am 
T78

Hmm, on second thoughts, considering Ill be doing this over 1 day at my mates place near wisemans ferry I don’t think I have the luxury of being able to deal with headaches caused by Cam removal/installation.

Thanks heaps for the input guys, once I get this done I'll let you know how I go power and response wise, and I'll put a scan of the dyno sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Cams are very easy to change on an SR but you just need to have a torque wrench that reads to very low figures (most don't).