Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 pm 
T25

Car: 93 Nissan Silvia S13 (JDM)
Hey guys i'm sorry if this has been covered but i searched but only found info on american s13 and nothing truly related to what i want to do. Since my car is JDM, some of the american forums were unable to help. I am gettin an S15 SR20det motor, harness and Ecu from a friend and want to put it into my S13 that has a SR20de. Has anyone done a swap like this? ive read where soewhere that i need the rear diff to get the speed gauge to work but im not too worried about that. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:09 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
No worries mate, it's a very common conversion but you'll need the gearbox too as the S15 runs a 6spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:08 pm 
T25

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention that i am getting the gearbox however i was planning on keeping my 5 speed. But i guess it all depends on which is easier during the install. My only worry is wiring up the s15 harness into my car. I'm an installer by trade so soldering is not an issue once i can find some sort of wiring diagram or anything to lead me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:35 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
If you are going to install a 5 speed behind the engine you will need to get a new s13/14 flywheel and clutch along with a spigot bearing as the s15 one is in the flywheel. The plus side is you will have no speedo issues.

Re the wiring, you need to source a pin out and wiring diagram for the s13de and the s15det. Unfortunately i haven't seen either before so can't give you a link. If it's a slow day at work i might have a look out of interest. After that it's pretty much trace, label, cut and solder for your power and dash plugs.

Have a look at the stuff here, there may be something useful http://www.silviansw.com/manuals.php . download the s15 manual. Page EC14 has the wiring diagram, EL63 has the pins.

If you do go with the 6 speed then yeah, speedo issues. I'm in the process of trying to get the speedo working in my s13 with a 6 speed box. It should work off one of the front wheel abs sensors but there will be some fiddling involved to get it reading right. You shouldn't need an abs diff, plus it would be harder to mess about with the cog in the diff then one on the hub.

edit: link fixed

Last edited by badhairdave on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:09 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silvia
I don't recommend an S15 gearbox. When I was looking at engine packages I remember a number of hurdles involved installing it into an s13.

They don't have a speed sender so you'll need to get a speed reading from ABS as Dave said. And either the S15 gauge cluster and abs computer or a frequency converter. Dave have you got one of these installed?

Also the output splines are different so you'll need the front an s15 prop shaft to connect to your s13 prop shaft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:45 am 
T25

Thanks again for the replies guys, real helpfull stuff. Im gonna try and see if i can find any wiring diagrams online...truly appreciate it. (keeping fingers crossed for slow day for badhairdave lol). I'm having issues with the link though..keeps coming up as an error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm 
T66

Car: Black S15 Spec R '01
there was an extra DOT on the end of the link

try this http://www.silviansw.com/manuals.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
jawsh wrote:
I don't recommend an S15 gearbox. When I was looking at engine packages I remember a number of hurdles involved installing it into an s13.

They don't have a speed sender so you'll need to get a speed reading from ABS as Dave said. And either the S15 gauge cluster and abs computer or a frequency converter. Dave have you got one of these installed?

Also the output splines are different so you'll need the front an s15 prop shaft to connect to your s13 prop shaft.

S13 auto front half will do the job for the tailshaft, along with s13 auto cross member.

No frequency converter yet. Want to get a base line and then i'll physically remove teeth from the hub ring sender thingy to get it close and maybe touch it up with a speedo adjuster kit from jaycar if it isn't close enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: s13 silvia
i have done this exactlly to my s13 car with s15 motor used a 5 speed with clutch and pressure plate to suit used old speedo hooked up and works right, wiring trace and soldered prob best to get someone who is a auto elec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:55 am 
Quad T88

Car: S15
Power for the ecu is the small black w/red wire in the 15 dash loom plug, give that 12v.

Start signal for 13 plug is orange, think it's orange with a yellow stripe for 15.

VTC/idle solenoid power is the brown wire, needs 12v ignition

Fuel pump will have to be hard wired to a switch or relay as 14/15 runs negative trigger.

You'll need to swap the temp sensor for the 13 one as 14/15 runs positive earth or something, then you'll have to find which wire it is from the 15 plug and put it to the right one in the 13 plug. If you want temp gauge.

Tacho, not sure which wire it is, i have it down as terminal 53 from the dash loom plug, but i never had a working tacho, so you're own your own there. Once it's running just get a multimeter and stick it in a few wires and rev it.

That should get you going.