Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:48 pm 
Twin T66

Car: 1988 Nissan Silvia Ks
About two months ago I had a manual conversion done on my car. The slave cylinder which was given to me from a wrecker had clearly seen better days. Unsurprisingly, it started screeching whenever I put the clutch in or out. So I purchased a brand new one from Nissan last week and decided to have a crack at changing the slave cylinder over myself.

I bled most of the old, really dirty (?!) fluid out of the system via the nipple on the slave itself into a tube which went into a container/. Then I loosened the clutch hose, unbolted the slave cylinder, and unscrewed the hose altogether. Then I gravity bled the rest of the fluid out.

Anyways, I then hooked up the brand new slave cylinder and tightened everything up. I added in new DOT 4 brake fluid into the reservoir. I got Dad to pump the pedal while I bled the system again via the nipple on the slave. After a while all the bubbles stop, and I bled it a little bit more to make sure it was good. Topped up the reservoir again to the full mark.

No more noise from the slave cylinder! I took it for a drove and pedal pressure feels fine and most importantly no creaks or groans.

Until today...fired up the car almost 24 hours later and the squeal when I clutch in or out is just as loud, if not worse than before. It sounds real bad. I checked the fluid and it appears like none has been lost whatsoever, it is still up to the full mark in the reservoir?

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:00 pm 
TO4

Car: 200sx S14.5
sounds more like an internal problem
bearing faulty ?
clutch not releasing properly ?
uneven pressure plate pressure ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:09 pm 
Twin T66

Na it doesn't sound like that to me.

It's hard to explain but it only happens when the clutch pedal is in the process or being pushed in or released. Like a really loud squeaking, like there is lack of lubrication somewhere in the slave or the clutch fork.

The noise itself comes right from where the slave cylinder is, not from inside the box etc.

I'm going to try spray some lithium grease around the clutch fork thingy area to see what gives. Here's hoping the gearbox doesn't have to come out... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:48 pm 
Classifieds Scab

Car: 180
Sounds like a thrust bearing to me champ becarefull after a while they explode into hundreds of peices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:11 pm 
TO4

Car: 200sx S14.5
you need to stop digging up old threads just to increase your post count

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
Twin T66

It wasn't a thrust bearing, please stop posting.

I replaced the spring, bushes, and all the other moving components in the clutch pedal assembly with brand new Nissan stuff and it is now perfect.

/end thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:00 am 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
should've tried some wd40 or silicone spray in the pedal assembly/spring.
helps but comes back after while then just relube agian lol

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]