Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S15
Just got my S15 back from Unigroup, very happy.

Mods:

T518z 8cm standard manifold
BC stage 2 cams with VCT and BC valve springs/retainers
740CC Nismo injectors
Z32 AFM
Nismo Pump
Nistune ECU
standard internals

Dyno sheet below shows 2 maps that i have
Blue graph = E85 PULP
Red graph = 98 PULP

Yavuz and I are both very suprised that E85 only yielded 7-8rwkw more. Yavuz reckons the turbo has reached close its max flow with the setup on E85 and that the injectors were running around 90% so he didnt try and squeeze any more out of it. However he said that the E85 result is pretty good, however 98 PULP result is more than he expected, therefore "narrowing" the gap between both fuels.

8) Image

The car absolutelty screams.

Only one small hitch. Yavuz has set an AFM airflow limit in the map. Its there to protect the engine however IMO i think it is set too low as on a cold night, as soon as the car power starts to ramp up, before it even hits max boost.

Yavuz has warned me however i just want it removed as its too intrusive i have to wind the boost back 4psi from whats its safely tuned for just to stop it from cutting out.

Anyway discuss!

Last edited by Aym23q on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:49 pm 
TO4

Car: Mazda 3 MPS
Congratulations mate! :)

Were the E85 and 98RON runs done on the same day, or is the 98 tune from a while back? D'you think you'll stick with the E85 tune for the small gain?

Is that power level approaching the limit for a standard internalled SR? Did Yavuz have any comment on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:01 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Leif wrote:
Congratulations mate! :)

Were the E85 and 98RON runs done on the same day, or is the 98 tune from a while back? D'you think you'll stick with the E85 tune for the small gain?

Is that power level approaching the limit for a standard internalled SR? Did Yavuz have any comment on that?

Thanks mate

Yea i believe they were on the same day, but i might confirm that with Yavuz. Well he has already tuned for E85 as well so i have 2 maps there might as well use it.

Even if the gain is minimal it would be good to use as it suppresses knock like no tommorow, very knock resistant therefore good for the track, even if the boost was knocked up a few PSI it should still be safe, to be honest i think yavuz was very conservative with the E85 tune, i think he was worried bout the injectors or something not sure.. he said he can get more out of them but "its not worth it"
dunno what that means lol

maybe tuning time vs gain wasnt worth it, as the boost controller didnt like holding much more than 22psi and was a bit erratic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: 1973 Datsun 180bsss FJ20ET
Good work Aym, that's some good results. Looking forward to getting the coin together to get my car back out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Thanks marty! :D

What happened to the sss?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Torque vs AFR
Peak torque Smack bang in the middle right at 5000rpm. Nice n meaty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:00 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
E85 only yields good results if you are a long way from the point that extra timing doesn't make gains. If you are almost there with 98 octane then E85 won't do a lot for you. That's what he's talking about.

If you had a bigger turbo running 30psi and no intercooler it'd be a different story as that combo would take advantage of the fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:34 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 510
Aym23q wrote:

its got an FJ, nuff said :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:52 am 
T51 Hybrid

badhairdave wrote:
E85 only yields good results if you are a long way from the point that extra timing doesn't make gains. If you are almost there with 98 octane then E85 won't do a lot for you. That's what he's talking about.

If you had a bigger turbo running 30psi and no intercooler it'd be a different story as that combo would take advantage of the fuel.

hmm yes i get ya, however if timing couldnt do much, id think that pushing bit more boost could safely give you bigger gains? ie no knock = "safe" ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 am 
T51 Hybrid

fly510 wrote:
Aym23q wrote:

LOL true, possibly chocked up behind the back wheel of the car to stop the car from rolling down his driveway :lol:

(I can see a "datnet" style SR vs FJ thread spilling over to silviaNSW and second now :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:34 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Series 2 S14 200sx
Aym23q wrote:
fly510 wrote:
Aym23q wrote:

LOL true, possibly chocked up behind the back wheel of the car to stop the car from rolling down his driveway :lol:

(I can see a "datnet" style SR vs FJ thread spilling over to silviaNSW and second now :P )

not another one :) we always know who wins that argument... SR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 pm 
T25

Car: Series 1 S14
....isnt the air fuel ratio supposed to be consistent? :S Looks a bit dodge for a professional tune.... Looks similar to my untuned s14 when it was running 11psi....

Im no mechanic... but i wouldnt be running 17psi through a stock motor with massive F*** off injectors.... Its unnecessary. You could get that power reading much more efficiently with out more than doubling the standard boost level.... And anyone that tells you that it doesnt decrease the life span of your motor is probably trying to sell you something... it may not blow up or anything straight away.... but i dont think its exactly good for it either... but provided the tune is good and it doesnt ping then it should be fine....

But hey... who am i to know.... its just my opinion....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
That air fuel ratio is bang on perfect for an SR20DET. Alot of tuners waste time trying to get the air fuel ratio to be a certain figure, whereas what they really should be doing is giving the engine the fuel it wants at given points in the load map.

17psi through 740cc injectors (actually he is running 20psi) on a stock motor will surely decrease it's lifespan, but things wear out at that boost level just as fast on a built motor as they do on a standard motor. The only real difference is that a built motor has less chance of breaking.

Lisa Michelle wrote:
Its unnecessary. You could get that power reading much more efficiently with out more than doubling the standard boost level

I'd like to know what magical method you use to do this. I can't think of many other turbos that will make nearly 270rwkw and still hit full boost well under 4000rpm (not taking into account happy dyno figures)

Remember that this forum is full of people that modify cars. If we were worried about wearing out engines out a little bit faster, then we wouldn't be driving the cars that we do, nor taking them to the racetrack.

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Lisa Michelle wrote:
Im no mechanic... but i wouldnt be running 17psi through a stock motor with massive F*** off injectors.... Its unnecessary. You could get that power reading much more efficiently with out more than doubling the standard boost level.... And anyone that tells you that it doesnt decrease the life span of your motor is probably trying to sell you something... it may not blow up or anything straight away.... but i dont think its exactly good for it either... but provided the tune is good and it doesnt ping then it should be fine...
How are you going to get the same power with less boost and smaller injecters? Cams arnt going to do it...

And btw i ran 17 psi through a stock bottem end for about 2 years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Lisa Michelle wrote:
....isnt the air fuel ratio supposed to be consistent? :S Looks a bit dodge for a professional tune.... Looks similar to my untuned s14 when it was running 11psi....

Im no mechanic... but i wouldnt be running 17psi through a stock motor with massive F*** off injectors.... Its unnecessary. You could get that power reading much more efficiently with out more than doubling the standard boost level.... And anyone that tells you that it doesnt decrease the life span of your motor is probably trying to sell you something... it may not blow up or anything straight away.... but i dont think its exactly good for it either... but provided the tune is good and it doesnt ping then it should be fine....

But hey... who am i to know.... its just my opinion....

you should have stopped at "....", but its just my opinion...