Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 510
So I recently bought this http://www.silviansw.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33018 and plan to use it as a track car. I'd like to hear from anyone on this site who has modded an s14 for track use.

Specifically I'm after what coilovers brands and then spring rates work the best. Sway bays, control arms pretty much any parts that are worth modifying on an S14 supension wise to make it go faster. Also anything to avoid.

I'd even appreciate the wheel alignment setting you have used in the past.

I plan to run the R32 GTR rims with 225/45/16 semis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
With that car, I'd probably just make sure everything is ready to go, and take it to the track as is :)

The S15 suspension will work pretty well with some weight pulled out of the car.

Give it 3 degrees negative camber at the front, 2 at the back, 3mm total toe out at the front, and 1mm in at the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
Yeah i'd leave it to start with. I'm pretty sure the owner was a track regular so it should be set up reasonably well already

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:11 pm 
T04 Hybrid

thanks fellas.

Re the camber/castor settings and they achievable using the existing hardware or do I need to install camber plates in the front/camber arms in the back?

One other question (and I appreciate you guys said leave it) was around the ride height. I noticed 25mm or 40mm progressive rate lowered springs are available for s15s for around $300 a set. Is it worth taking some ride height out of it, even just an inch?

PS. these are the tyres I am considering >> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-X-NEW-225-45-1 ... 240%3A1318

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:42 pm 
T88

Car: kouki 14
no you wont be able to adjust the camber/castor with stock arms

i wont commonet on the lowered springs because im not a circuit guy, but personally id put the money towards a 2nd hand set of coilovers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:36 pm 
T04 Hybrid

I'll happily to listen to any and all comments on this topic as I'm new to late model cars. Regarding coilovers I have money put aside to mod this car so if I was gunna get them I'd go new.

My general concern with the coilovers on offer is that you simply get what you pay for. I've had lengthy discussions with the guys at Sydney shock absorbers (these guys know there shit and do the shocks/suspension for many well known race & rally cars) and they didnt have anything good to say about the run of the mill coilovers.

They found in most cases the bump & rebound on the brand name coilovers were different when set to the same settings and tested back to back.

I have previously read that s15 suspension is pretty good out of factory but I'm wondering whether the setup would benefit from some decent bilstien inserts and upgraded springs. I assume camber tops can be added to the standard s15 struts on the fronts.

Anyway that all aside I'm happy to spend the money I just want to make sure its worth it before I do as I'd really like to do everything right the first time as I plan to keep this car a while.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
I probably wouldn't bother putting camber tops on the current struts if you're likely to change to aftermarket coilovers in the future.
Try it out with the current struts first though and see what you think. If they're in the ballpark then you can add camber tops and the job's done (you won't get as much camber out of them as smaller diameter coilovers though because the spring land will hit the strut tower)

Don't worry about lowering it. The reduction in ride height doesn't have any real effect except for ruining the suspension geometry.
The S15 suspension is already a bit lower than the original S14 stuff, and the S14 rear end suffers from major camber change on bumps if you lower it too much more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:58 pm 
T04 Hybrid

So after requesting info on possible options for my s14 track car and you guys suggesting to leave it as I have gone and done what all know it all's do.

I have decided to get the good stuff straight up and make sure the car is solid & reliable from the start.

Here's the suspension bits I have chosen;

Whiteline adjustable sway bars
Bilstein coilovers from heasmans steering (will order next week)
Adjustable front camber tops to go with coilovers
Kuhmo KU36 semi slicks - the price was right so I'm willing to give them a go
I am also looking at a set of adjustable camber arms for the rear.

Have I missed anything - Would new bushes be advisable?

I ordered a full set of goodridge braided brake lines and a pair of slotted rear rotors as the rear is currently metal on metal. I have project mu pads to go with those rotors.

Front already has newish slotted rotors and project mu pads and I have a set of nismo race pads as a back up. Longer term I might move to r32 GTRs on the front if the stock setup proves inadequate but whatever I get will be around that size so I can stick to 16's.

I plan to install all the bits over the course of late May/early june as the car club I'm has a day planned mid june at Marulan. I will then be looking to do wakefield day in July some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:44 am 
Retard

Car: Sileighty
lol "after listening to your advice, I chose to ignore it and get all this shit before driving the car anyway"

Additionally, 32 GTR brakes won't stop you any faster than S14 brakes - theyre the same damn caliper. They use the same pad, and the disc is only a few mm larger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:42 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
good luck with the whiteline sway bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:21 pm 
T66

Car: Black S15 Spec R '01
i dont know whats been done to the car, but if your getting getting camber arms, get toe arms as well. get castor arms for the front as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:29 am 
T04 Hybrid

so bit of an update on this car, I might even start a build thread shortly.

After listening to all you the advice I went ahead and ignored it of course :oops:

The rear end (almost back together) has cusco camber & toe arms and Ikeya traction arms. 22mm Whiteline adjustable sway bar, braided brake lines with project MU pads & slotted rotors. Already has an S15 diff which I'm happy with for now.

The front end has some brand new, name brand (cant remember which ones) castor arms, braided brake lines, slotted rotors and a 27mm whiteline swaybar.

The suspension is HKS hypermax pros 10/7. Once I sort out the front end its off for a proper wheel alignment IE not local tyre shop.

Engine (not done yet but I have the bits) is a SS manifold, new GT28r, S15 inj, Z32, Apexi filter and then off to unigroup for some nistune love and a tune. Hoping for around 180 - 190rwkw on 15psi.

Going a fixed back drivers seat of some sort, need to sort that out.

I ended buying a set of those $150 KU36 kuhmos in 225/50/16 for the GTR rims off option1garage. I know they are not a 'full' semi slick but for the price I am happy to burn them up as I learn & develop the car. Probably go a set of re55's next time around.

First outing is Marualan in early August, cant wait. Wakefield will be shortly after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:27 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Which club are you going to Marulan with?

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 am 
T04 Hybrid

too_much_boost wrote:
Which club are you going to Marulan with?

Sydney datsun club, 9th of August. Pretty good group of guys, down to earth club with a good mix of cars (& speed).

If you are interested I can ask about any available spots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:03 am 
Overlord
Overlord

How much is the day?

Is it a grip or drift day?

I have a bub due this week so it will be a bit of a stretch i think but some info would be nice

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw