Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wings while on a track
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:31 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: JAP S15
Just wanting some opinions on whether i should put my wing on when i go to Wakefield. When i bought my car a year ago it came with a massive t wing. After a few months i managed to track down a wingless bootlid without holes so the wing and other bootlid have been sitting around in the garage.

I have been wanting to sell the wing but got lazy. Since im going to Wakefield on 13/12 i was toying with the idea of putting it back on for the day.

For all those that have been on circuits without a wing then have come back with one (or vise versa) felt any differences? Were there any changes in lap times? Will the track even allow for speeds for the wing to actually create down force?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:43 pm 
T51

Car: 2000 JDM S15
I don't have any personal experience on this matter myself - but a few friends have driven with a wing on and their opinion is that it doesn't make a noticeable difference, as you mentioned i don't think you would reach speeds fast enough for it to become effective.

- Joey -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:44 pm 
TO4

Car: none
If you followed the life of the 'Hello Kitty' S13 Silvia. (see the Buildup thread) The previous owner had a massive GT wing on the back of that car to help it do sub 1:10s at Wakefield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:21 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
There's a guy on here (Melvin) with a yellow 15 who uses a large wang at Wakie

John Boston acutually said it would be a good idea to get one.

He would often spin on turn 1 due to lack of downforce

After the wing was put on he didnt spin once

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm 
T66

Car: Black S15 Spec R '01
put it on.

do some testing with it. try it with the least downforce, then set it to max. see if you can feel any difference and see if it affects lap times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:06 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: S13 Silvia
I put a GT wing on my car as I was having traction and power down issues. It made a massive difference to the car on the track. At EC I was able to accellerate through turns 3 and 4 where as previously the car wanted to break out or fry the tyres. Another guy drove the car and said the same thing as he had also driven it without and then with the wing.

I recommend to take it with you and try it for yourself. Try it for a session, then take it off and see the difference for yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:41 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
I have a genuine carbon fibre GT wing, unused in the box if you are looking for something a bit more authentic.
Designed for purpose. Looking for $700 or near offer. Cost 1K to buy, never used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:54 pm 
TO4

Car: none
Being your first track day, realistically I say don't bother with a wing right now. You'll be having so much fun you will probably forget about messing around with the wing.

However if you really get hooked on the track bug and keep going again and again. Consider doing it once you've figured out your driving style and how your car handles, you should be able to decide on what to do with the rear downforce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 am 
T03 Hybrid

4_SI_WAY wrote:
I have a genuine carbon fibre GT wing, unused in the box if you are looking for something a bit more authentic.
Designed for purpose. Looking for $700 or near offer. Cost 1K to buy, never used.

nice plug :lol:

Looks like i'll be taking the wing to see if it makes a noticeable difference while on the track. I just hate driving on the road with it. Blocks too much crap when looking in the rear view mirror!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:56 pm 
SilviaNSW Supporter
SilviaNSW Supporter

Car: S15
RamR1 wrote:
4_SI_WAY wrote:

Looks like i'll be taking the wing to see if it makes a noticeable difference while on the track. I just hate driving on the road with it. Blocks too much crap when looking in the rear view mirror!!!

Remove it when on the street or have 2 boots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:52 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Serial Killa wrote:
RamR1 wrote:
4_SI_WAY wrote:

Remove it when on the street or have 2 boots

I do have 2 boots. I bought an undamaged boot lid about 2 months after buying my car. The boot lid with the wing has just been sitting around for ages. I may even have to give it a wash to get the dust off when i put it back on.

I was considering putting it on when i drove up to the snow so i can strap some snowboards onto it. But we hired a tarago instead. Would have looked funny seeing an s15 that looks like it has a snowboard for a wing. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:07 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: silvia
i had a twin cross bar evo 5 wing (customed) on one of my previous cars and on its max down force setting at 110km u could see the lower bar bowing slightly and the car would be very twitchy on the steering, so it will make a difference, i guess how much will depend on the setting and your driving.
but as chris86 said u will be having far 2 much fun to notice on your 1st track day... just enjoy it, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:33 pm 
T28

Car: 180sx
I don't see why not i mean, you have it why not use it?

It benefits you in some how, doesn't hurt to put it on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:59 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: sileighty
RamR1 wrote:
4_SI_WAY wrote:

its obviously not high enough then... :D

seriously tho, to achieve maximum effictivness, the wing needs to be up out of the vacuum area at the back of the car.
OR
hanging over the back, to create a negative pressure area underneath it....

it also depends on the car design, on a 180sx the hatch design creates a smaller rear vacuum section, so you can run a medium height wing, but on an s13 silvia, you would need to run a higher wing to gain maxium downforce benefit.

proper sized wing endplates are also important!
as they increase the effectivness of the wing, by preventing the high pressure air above the wing rolling over the edge to the low pressure below the wing, and thus creating drag, and they also direct air in a better direction to utilise the shape of the wing.

formerly 3AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:49 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 200sx
with a standard road car most of the downforce is put over the front wheels of the car and the faster you go the more down force is applied. A wing on the rear will assist with medium to high speed cornering and lesson oversteer as it will allow the slip angle to increase on the rear tyres.

A wing on the car will slow the car down in a straight line but usually the high speed stability during cornering will outweight the extra drag in a straight line.

hope this helps.

matt