Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:35 pm 
TO4

Car: AE86, JZA80 MkIV Supra
May have been covered but i couldnt find anything relevant.

Anyone know the specifics that need to be looked at when considering this conversion?

I'm not too familiar with the n14 engines, but i do know they have solid lifters and a quad throttle setup, better mapping, more boost.... all adds to an interesting engine.

Anyhow, i understand that the dizzy needs to be addressed. What are the options here? can a Det cam angle sensor be retrofitted to the "front" of the engine, or even to where the dizzy sits?

Besides that, there is the problem of water inlet/outlets, nothing a little piping couldnt fix.

Also, can anyone confirm if the gtir motor has the same bellhousing bolt patterns as the rwd de/det's?

I'm just looking at my options for my engine conversion. The n14 sr20 would be the 4 cyl of choice, otherwise it'll have to be a 6.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:00 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
I think you would run into big problems being that the RWD version of the sr20 are north-south engines where the gti-r has a east-west engine setup. I don't think there would be enough room in the engine bay to fit a north-south engine. The easiest way would be to try and strengthen the 4wd drive-train, like the transfer case and diff, then take the driver from the front wheels either via a bias controller or removing the driveshafts to that area.

I hope you have thought of the driveablity of a rwd gti-r, there would be two tenths of f*ck all over the rear wheels and I dare say it wouldn't handle real well at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:06 pm 
Twin T78

Car: onEvia
i think u got it the wrong way

he wants to put the gtir sr20 engine into an s13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:06 pm 

Car: MKV Golf
I think he wants to put the GTiR engine into a silvia/180. Not make an existing GTiR RWD.

EDIT: ^^SNAP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:47 pm 
T51

Car: 180
ok don't quote me on anything, but this is what i observed.
runs a dizzy, if you want to change that then you need cam, cas and the coilpacks etc,
throttle body will be pointing towards the firewall
all your ancillaries and their brackets were made to fit in a east-west pattern, so adapting them on a north-south might be hard as they might not have the holes in the block to put then in the original rwd configuration
engine mounts?
and no idea on the bellhousing pattern, but if the fwd sr20de pulsars fit on the gtir engine, they could have teh same pattern.
nfi mate
gl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:41 am 
TO4

yeah i shouldda specified the car the engine was going into, which is a 180sx (still undecided on engine choice, so not a definate just yet).

Anyhow, i understand about the ancillaries being mounted different (unconfirmed) and the dizzy vs coilpack setup.

Ancillaries should be easy to swap between rwd and fwd sr20's assuming they run the same block and thread holes (which i think is the case, but still unconfirmed.

I guess the best bet is to compare the 2 engines side by side.

Thanks anyhow fellas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:59 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
I thought at first you were turning the engine around in the GTiR (I was actually thinking about this when I went through my GTiR phase) it would be a crap load of work but it would be a one of a kind.

Putting it into a 180 should be a far site easier but still may have a few hiccups.

Firstly the intake manifold would be facing the wrong way (nothing a bit of creative fabrication couldn't fix)

The dizzy as was previously mentioned, I would be inclinded to think a 200sx head swap might be easier than trying to mod the GTiR one.

The GTiR block is actually different to the normal 180 SR20 even though they are both SR20's. (I bought a manual on the engine when I was certain I was getting a GTiR and it mentioned block differences)

Water outlet may also be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:01 pm 
TO4

nah i wouldnt bother doing a head swap. If i had the choice, id go sr20ve/t but we know how impossible it is to get one. Other than that, id only go a gtir sr20 as it has a better head than the regular red and non vct black tops.

Well, seeing as that is probably a no go, i think i might have to look at a different engine. More than likely, a 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:43 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
R-Jay wrote:
yeah i shouldda specified the car the engine was going into, which is a 180sx (still undecided on engine choice, so not a definate just yet).

ah-huh...I reckon for the trouble your gonna go to I'd be looking at using either a late model JDM s15 sr20....or going to a rb25det. I don't think you would find that the gti-r sr20 would be that advantagous, especially considering that the JDM s15 engine makes more power than the gti-r anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:53 pm 
TO4

i wouldnt bother on the rb25 POS iron lump of crap even if it was the only other logical choice. As for power outputs in stock form, you should know by now that means nothing. I think the only advantage an s15 sr20 has is that it is newer (lower k's) and it has vct, which adds up to nothing when you compare it to quad throttles and reliability of solid lifters vs hydraulic lifters.

Well, if it seems like it is not a probable swap, i might have to go a 6. But would have to be something special. Wait and see.

cheers for all the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:21 am 
TO4

Car: supra
if you want a 6 go for the 2JZ-GTE ... its a monster of an engine !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:03 pm 
TO4

if you take a look at my username, you'd also see i own a jza80 supra. So i'm more than aware of what a 2jz is capable of =)

i was actually thinking vq30det from the y33 or y34 cima/leopard/gloria. Only thing is, they are nearly non-existent in manual form, so i'd have to consider mating the 5spd from the z32 if i wanted a decent strong manual box to mate it to. Worse case scenario is id have to fab up an adaptor plate (something i dont have time for atm as im still modding my supra).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:26 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
I thought the VQ cimas were auto only which means the problem with the VQ is there are only 2 manual boxes available that bolt up, one from the V35 skyline and one from the 350Z and neither of them is cheap, probably double the cost of the engine.

You could always get an adapter made up to suit an rb25 box.

Then you have to find wiring diagrams and pinout diagrams which aren't readily available online, or atleast they weren't last time i looked.

I considered this swap briefly a year or so ago but for me an rb25 was the cheapest and easiest solution as i have an r32.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:59 am 
TO4

funnily enough, the rb25 box is more expensive... and a touch weaker.

Anyhow this wont happen for ages as the supra is my main priority, so i'll have plenty of time for research into the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:48 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
R-Jay wrote:
funnily enough, the rb25 box is more expensive... and a touch weaker.

Anyhow this wont happen for ages as the supra is my main priority, so i'll have plenty of time for research into the matter.

So youre trying to tell me that a 6 speed 350Z/V35 skyline box is cheaper to buy than a r33 rb25 box? Stronger, possibly but it havent seen enough high power VQ's yet that lunched boxes are common.