Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:16 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s13 180sx - sr20det
Ok guys heres a good question does anyone know if a LCD style led number display outputs a varying voltage to change the numbers. Thats confusing i know i mean u know those little elctronic kits u can buy that have led numbers that look like a big digital watch, well for those numbers change does the voltage going to them change to change the numbers and i need to know for certain that it does. The goal here is to buy a dick smith electronic tacho and dont put the led numbers on then get a fuel guage thing that can be adjusted to turn on a light when the voltage gets to certain level i.e a shift light home made for like 50 bucks. Thats the idea any help would be much appreciated if you can even understand what i mean/??? :roll:
Thanx again
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:35 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
you can make up a dodgy analog shift light for probably a few dollars.

I'm not too sure what the tacho drive output is on the S13, but according to the manual the ECU gives out a variable voltage to drive the tachometer. All you need then is a comparator, or even something more basic like a zener diode with the right value (after measuring the voltage at the revs yuo want) connected to a basic buffer circuit to turn a light on.

The kit digital tachos usually have shift light outputs, etc anyway, and they are triggered from the actual ignition pulse from the ECU, which should be more accurate.

There's a kit for a rev limiter / shift light at Jaycar which would do the job straight out of the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:46 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: s13 180sx - sr20det
Well a variable voltage is what im looking for, i thought the tacho was working on pulses or something but if tacho is driven from comp on variable voltage thats excellent cause the fule guage thingy needs voltage to find its switch on point, the article i am referring to in regards to using the fuel light thing for this is at
http://www.autospeed.com/A_1052/P_1/article.html
in place of the light they show u how to put relay on for higher current applications and all for 15 bucks, thuoght it was pretty cool. :roll:

but one from jaycar straight from box sounds pretty good too, that way i aint splicing into tacho wiring :)
thanx for ur help i will have to do more research.
Thanx again
Pete[/url]