Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:01 pm 
TO4

Car: Nissan Silvia S13 93'- SR20DET
Hey everyone as the topic says i'm after an amp for these subs. I was thinking about going a alpine monoblock, since i've already got the alpine headunit, why not make it all alpine.
What i need is a 1 ohm stable amp i think to run both in parallel, or would you recommend running 2 monoblocks for the 2 subs?
I don't really have a set budget because i'd rather buy quality amps now and not want to upgrade later when i realise my subs have a whole lot more potential.

Thanks

Rhys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:02 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
if both subs are 4 ohms, and you want to run them in parallel, then you only need a 2 ohm stable amp...1 ohm are very hard and expensive to come by and you dont need it unless your running 4 subs of 4 ohms

so i would recommend a one single channel amp, 2 ohm stable that has an rms output close to what your subs can handle
and if you can afford go alpine, they make good amps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:14 pm 
TO4

mokompri: only problem is these are dual voice coil, and apparently each coil is rated at 4 ohms so i'm going to need a 1 ohm stable amp, but who makes them? There peak powers at 1000 and rms at 300 so need an amp to suit that too in 1 ohm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:14 am 
T78

or you could get a 2 channel amp and run the subs in series then parallel [or vica versa] you'll get 4 ohms.. bridge it on the 2 channel.. and u get 2ohms runnin through each..
running things at 1ohm tend to get pretty hot..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:58 am 
TO4

I was chatting to a guy at cronulla car sound today and he says i can run the coils from each sub in series then run the subs themselves in parallel on a one channel 2 ohm monoblock, so looks like the alpine MRD500 or MRD300 will be the go, maybe the 500 but, doesn't hurt to have a bit more power there, does it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:26 pm 
T78

hmmm.. 2x4ohm coils in series-> 8ohm....
Parallel that wif the other sub and 2/8--->8/2---> 4 ohms
The mono block would still be running at 4ohms.. The monoblock [500] still sohuld supply enuff power to keep u happy even at 4ohms..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:14 am 
T28

Remember bass (especially strong quality bass) is all about power and cone control. Watts is not the only figure to watch when buying amplifiers. One should also keep a close watch on other factors like damping, slew, efficiency and THD figures as well.

Most systems are designed to run at optimum performance when presented with a 4ohm load. While it is true that an amplifier set to run at 2ohm will give you more power, it will also heat up (reducing efficiency), the damping factor will lower and the THD will increase.

So this said, if budget is not an issue then get a mono-black for each sub. That way each subwoofer will be presented with clean power and they'll be able to run at their maximum ability levels.

As for amps to auditon, I would suggest you look at dedicated amplifier manufacturers like Zapco. Their 500M and 1100M mono-blocks are hard to beat. Other brands to audition are Boston, Audison, ARC Audio, Tru-Tech, Diamond, a/d/s and McIntosh. There are many that are better suited (only in my opinion of course) than the Alpine MRD mono-blocks. :D