Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:01 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: R32 Skyline 4 door
Just wondering what size fuses I need for three amps which have the following power;

Sub amp- 1000wrms
Front speakers amp- 170wrms
Rear speakers amp- not 100% but I think its about 150wrms

The above amps I have just listed is what the total power of them are, if it needs to be more detailed just let me know.

I was going to run the following;

battery---wire---??amp fuse---wire---power distribution block with
in built ??amp fuses---wire to each amp. Or do I need another set of fuses in betwenn each amp and the distribution block?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:36 pm 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
the best way to determine what fuses you need on your power cable is to look at what fuses are in the amps themselves.. then add them all up and thats roughly what size fuse you should be using on your power cable (within about 30cm of the battery)..

another set of fuses near your distribution block closer to the amps would help too, but isnt entirely necessary if the fuse near the battery is sufficient..

another general rule of thumb is that for each 1000wrms, you should have a 1 farad capacator on the power cable near the amps.. again, not entirely necessary but will def help keep voltage up so ur alternator doesnt have to work its a$$ off supplying power for the amps and for the other cars electrics - which at the end of the day are more important!! dont want ur headlights dimming and flickering with each big bass note..

i was running amps close to 2000wrms with a big fuse near the battery - 0-gauge cabling running to a 1.5 farad cap, then into a big distribution block which sent 4gauge directly to the amps - worked a treat..