Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: System
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:30 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: S14
Hey there ive got 2x12" sony subs in a box with a 1200W sony explode amp, the amp runs only the two subs. Just got a question maybe someone might have had the same problem, it used to be really load and nice the bass, but the last few weeks its been really bad, like there is a hole in the subs, which there isnt. For a while the bass would be normal if i hit a bump or something, then once the car shook again it would cut again, ive checked the wires and stuff not 100% but what i can see. Any suggestions???

p.s. dont tell me to take em out :P i like my music load with bass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:58 pm 
T88

Car: Silvia S13
how have you got the subs wired in 2 or 4 ohm configuration or one sub bridged per channel?

also is it a 4 channel amp, and is it stable for 2 ohm (if you have them wired in 2 ohm), if it is cutting in and out over bumps then you may have a dry solder joint in the amp from running it say for example if you ran the subs off a rear channel in 2 ohm configuration and its not 2 ohm stable, it will eventually overheat the amp and you will get dry soldier joints or fry the transistors in the amp...

or another possibility is that if you have cranked the subs and have the gains all the way up and you are clipping the subs, it can burn the voice coils on them and make them not work properly...especially if the amp is too powerful for the subs it is driving...

try pushing down on the subs when they are off in the center and see if they move freely or are scratchy as they move up and down...

:D

Quote:
I like to drive the car, not look at lines on paper :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:59 am 

Car: MKV Golf
*Moved to correct forum*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:14 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
i had this exact problem, the subs cut out over large bumps. turned out to be the connectors at the sub, they were dodgy. biggest headache to fix, kept happening..