Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:09 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: "S"
Hi guys, just finished installing my system and now up to tuning. This is the first time i've done it all by myself, so I have a few questions:

Q1/
I have the front speakers crossover'd and I have 'HPF' set on the amp for the front inputs also, now, head deck has option to turn HPF on. Do I need this on, if so, what frequency?

Q2/
On the amp output for the rears, I have:

L ...............R
[-] [+] [-] [+]
[x]............ [x]

I have a plugged the sub's cables into where [x] is. Is this correct if I want to bridge the two rear channels into the sub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:24 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
use either the amp's filter or the head unit's one. dont use both

depends on the amp, so you should read either the instructions, but the ones ive seen yes those are the ones to use for bridge mode

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:18 pm 
T28

In answer to your questions, I would start with the fronts high passed at 80Hz to 100Hz and see how you like the sound. Use either the head units crossover or the amps, not both (just like zei20l said above).

As for the amplifier outputs, most are left pos, right neg but you'll need to post up your amplifier model and make so we can be sure.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:39 am 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
Fhrx wrote:
In answer to your questions, I would start with the fronts high passed at 80Hz to 100Hz and see how you like the sound. Use either the head units crossover or the amps, not both (just like zei20l said above).

80Hz-100Hz is a bit low for some speakers (depends on what speakers you've got - are they component speakers with their own crossovers? or co-axial?) - i'd go more like 100-120hz - but it depends on what sub you've got and where the LP is set on that too

there's nothing wrong with using both crossovers either.. but it comes down to how it sounds and what you are happy with. generally tho, unless its a high end deck, the amp crossovers will be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:04 pm 
T88 Hybrid

Car: "S"
the fronts have their own crossovers - how do the speakers' crossovers tie in with the headunit's controls of HP frequencies?

so what fhrx/zei is saying, is that i should turn off the 'HP' and 'LP' setting clips on the AMP and adjust it all from the headunit? i currently have the amp's clips set for HP and LP respectively, and i notice the high-freq sounds are really high and mid range is too low..

Could this be the reason?

LISTEN180: The sub's HP/LP is just a matter of flicking a little switch, but the headunit allows you to control the frequencies, so what do you think is better?

AMP is RF301x (rockford fosgate)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:15 pm 
T28

LISTEN 180SX wrote:
80Hz-100Hz is a bit low for some speakers (depends on what speakers you've got - are they component speakers with their own crossovers? or co-axial?) - i'd go more like 100-120hz - but it depends on what sub you've got and where the LP is set on that too

I know what you're saying but generally if the doors are deadened and the power is available we tend to cross them much lower (mine are highpassed at 50Hz and my sub is lowpassed at 60Hz) to bring the stage forward. Remember at around 60Hz most human ears begin to gain the ability to hear where sound is coming from based on ear width so the more of the sound spectrum you can get up the front the better the SQ stage. :)