Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:43 pm 
T25

Car: 180sx
Im not really a bass cadet but like to have nice sound.
i wanna get just a basic head deck.

with the speakers, should i get a pair of 2ways for the front and a pair of
3 ways for the back?

all this with one 10inch sub and amp.

in regards to the speakers in the cabin, what would be ideal for a couple of hundred?
should i be thinking a good set of 6x9s and 6inchs at the front?
or just 3 way 6inchs front and rear.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:18 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
dont bother with 3 ways, there marketing rubbish with sprinkles of rice..

2 ways will do the job fine

a couple of hundred is pretty vague, and could mean the difference between having a slice of poo in your doors to some pretty decent high end speakers, so maybe a bit of clarification here would be good :)

if you want some good imaging, get a good set of 6" 2 way co-axials speakers for the front, and same for the rear. if you want some more bass get some 6x9" in rear, but imaging wont be as good. ive got the latter and got around the imaging issue with front/rear fader, works well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:12 pm 
Twin T78

Car: onEvia
Imaging, what does that mean?

I have 2-way 6" front and rear, and looking for more bass. Should i add 6x9s in the rear and a 4ch amp or just the amp?

What do you think of these 6x9s?
http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entert ... /tsa6960e/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:10 pm 
Twin T51

Car: S13 K
doing a stereo on a budget, look around for a good condition 2nd hand HU... I just got a Kenwood 6029 for $250, so keep an eye out for a deal like that.

As for speakers, spend your couple of hundred on getting a decent set of splits for the front and then later, if you decide get some rears later. The JayCar kevlar splits are a good purchase at only $150.

Then for the sub, shop around and see what you want. I'd suggest getting a 12' over a 10, just a bit more versatile. again you could probably find something suitable on the forums. As for the amp, again check out the jaycar range of amps, good value for money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:29 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
6x9's are rubbish. volume with no clarity. big on midbass if you want a boom in that frequency range though.
add a sub,not more full range speakers. it'll cound like crap with 4 6" speakers AND 6x9's. put a single sub in to augment the bottom end.

imaging is creating an accurate sound stage. i.e you hear the drums out the back,the vocalist clear and bright front and centre,the guitarist moving from side to side as he crosses the stage,and so on...

ideally,the sound should seem as if it's coming from the centre of the dash,almost right out of the air vents. no one frequency should overshadow the others,and changes in pitch shouldn't alter the height or position of the sound stage.

a decent setup for a smallish interior like a silvia would be a pair of 6" splits in the doors,and a 10 or 12" sub in a sealed box out back,with some small coaxials in the back for rear fill if it feels a bit empty to you.
amplify the sub and the front splits,and run the rear fill speakers off of the head unit.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:50 pm 
Twin T78

Car: onEvia
sorry should have made myself more clear

I want to REPLACE the rear 6" with 6x9s

Only reason why i want to go the 6x9s route is because i want more bass without having to use a sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:58 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
do it then. you'll get some more midbass,but nothing deeper,they can't reproduce it.

6x9's by design have a bump in their output at around 80hz,but taper off a lot below that.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:50 pm 
T51

Car: 180sx
That explanation from Fergo, on imaging and the ideal setup for our small car, is spot on.

It's difficult to produce low frequencies from just 6X9's, u'll just get more mid when u turn it up. But if u want that deep warm bass sound, u'll have to get a sub\amp setup. And definately spend a decent amount on splits at the front. U want clarity and definition, not just volume.

It's strange, once u've tried a decent hi-fi system, u realise u dont need to turn up the volume, cause there's just so much detail being reproduced from the speakers and at such depth and clarity. First time I experienced it, I had to sit down and adjust my hearing [metaphorically].

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:25 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: R32 Skyline 4 door
I wouldnt labell 6x9's that bad. Basically if you dont want a sub becuase of space or because you just dont want that much bass, then 6x9s will be fine.
For a 180 I would recomend, a good set of splits for the front, 2 ways coaxials for the rear (only if you want to entertain back seaters, bescause the fronts will be enough for the driver, rear fill isnt really nescessary) and a sub and suitable amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:08 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Driven wrote:
That explanation from Fergo, on imaging and the ideal setup for our small car, is spot on.

It's difficult to produce low frequencies from just 6X9's, u'll just get more mid when u turn it up. But if u want that deep warm bass sound, u'll have to get a sub\amp setup. And definately spend a decent amount on splits at the front. U want clarity and definition, not just volume.

I have a friend with 6 X 9's in the rear, and seriously, you would ask the question of "what sized sub you running?" if you hear the bass that comes off them.

His setup is a Pioneer DEH5550, Sony Xplode 2 channel amp, and currently Pioneer 6 X 9's in the rear parcel tray of his Ford Laser hatch.

He has Sony Xplode speakers in the front, but not currently hooked up, and he was going to get a 12" sub, but with the current bass output, he has decided against that.

Onanother note, if you EVER decide to get a sub, dont go for anything larger than 5 X 6's or 6.5" speakers, as the bass given off with over-lap from the Sub and make your setup sound like pure shit.

Trust me from experience, a good cheap setup is a decent-ish head unit, 4 Channel Amp (or 2 2channel Amps), 2 channels hooked up to the front speakers, and 2 channels Bridged for a sub, and a 10" fully sealed boxed sub will do wonders. This setup will be enough for people to hear it clearly and loudly outside the car, so it will be enough to get your ears ringing without distorting and sounding like a try-hard, and satisfy your initial car audio urges.

B.