Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:45 am 
T28

Hi,
I had the misfortune to spin my S15 last Thursday night. It ended up sliding backwards off the road and into a metal railing embedded in some limestone blocks. The fence was totalled and the car ended up resting on the limestone blocks. Not a pretty sight. Mechanically it is fine apart from passenger front wheel and suspension, however there are only two undamaged panels on the car - they are going to do a full respray.

My insurance details:
Insured value of car is $44000 (2001 S15 spec S modified to 204Kw at rearwheels, and no, I wasn't speeding, racing, drifting or doing anything stoopid, just hit a slippery spot on the road in third going in a straight line at 60kmh at about 2/3 throttle).
Premium $1041, excess $300 plus $500 voluntary excess in order to secure a lower premium.
Age: 29, no claims in the last six years, three speeding fines, none of which more than 9km over the limit in the last three years and one license suspension 5 years ago for accumulation of demerits due to speeding fines, 60% lifetime no claim bonus.
Quote for repairs: $18000, thats right, $18000.
Lucky for me I declared ALL mods and my driving history including license suspension at the time I took out insurance - eg FMIC, 3" turbo back exhaust, lowered suspension, wider mags radio, tinting, etc etc.

Anyhow, crashed it Thursday night, towed straight to the ins company assessing yard using their recommended tow company, repairs quoted, authorised and the car deliverd to the repair shop this afternoon, that is three working days! The service is fantastic. Best bit though is I get to keep my lifetime 60% no claim bonus!!

All I can say though is that first off be honest, there is no point paying huge amounts of money for insurance for them to deny your claim - you would have been better off not getting insurance at all. Tell them everything and make sure that your insurance policy lists all of your mods so there is no argument about what is covered and what isn't.

Finally, if you do crash the car, keep a sense of perspective, be thankful that no one was killed or injured, remember that cars are just money, and no amount of money can unkill or unmaim somebody, I shudder to think of what could have happened if I had spun into oncoming traffic or knocked over a late night jogger on the footpath. I am getting aftermarket traction control installed as soon as I get the car back, which will be in about four weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:01 am 
T78 Hybrid

Car: SIL80
that last paragraph was well said mate .. good luck with the repairs !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:12 pm 
Quad T66

Car: Cefiro coming
who is your insurance company?

Post subject: Insurance company
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:53 pm 
T28

My insurance company is Western QBE located in WA. I believe that QBE insurance in the Eastern States operates slightly differently. When I call the national number I was put through to the Eastern States who said they don't insure turbos. When I called the WA number they said that they normally will not insure turbos for people under 30yrs old. in my case I am under 30 but I have had all my insurance (Car, house, contents etc) with them for the last six years and because of my good history with them (This is my first motor vehicle claim since I have been with them) they were able to offer me insurance. I am fairly certain that a new customer would not be able to get a similar premium with them, and probably not at all if they were under 30.

When I was getting finance for the car, the bank quoted me insurance from Suncorp Metway based on 60%NCB, that quote was for $1100 so you could try them. In general though, from this forum it seems that WA insurance premiums are heaps cheaper than those of other states.

Craig