Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:58 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Hello,

Firstly before I get started, I know close to nothing about car audio. Now heres my question: Is it possible to get a decent sounding system with nothing but a headunit and two front speakers?

My car is mostly stripped out so I dont want to bother with a proper sound system. It had 3 way kenwood 6.5" speakers in the rear, 6" 2 ways in the front all running off a Pioneer DEH-P5450 head unit-- now it just has the two front speakers. While it sounds ok for such cheap speakers, It now requires to be turned up to like volume 25 on the deck to be the same as what it was with the rear speakers turned on to say, 15. It also crackles at a relatively low level.

Is it possible to get something louder at the front? I dont listen to my music very loud, but now it just seems quiet. Would a set of splits at the front help or are they just designed for clarity in larger systems?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:12 am 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
go for focal speakers with tweeters - cant go past focal for clarity and overall quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:23 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Toyota MR2
I say amp it. from my experience even a cheap amp, such as the Avalanche brand ones sold by strathfields, give much more clean power than the headunit could even hope to do. :) just my input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:43 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
Gunmetal is no really asking about getting better clarity but rather a louder and more meaty sound im guessing.

6" mid woofers, or trying cramming in 6x9's at the front?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:51 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Well I want it louder and clear at the same time. Not heaps louder like I said, but something that wont crackle and distort before my prefered listening volume, which is happening now.

Thanks everyone for their help so far. Where is Fhrx when you need him. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:17 am 
T28 Hybrid

Nismodified wrote:
Gunmetal is no really asking about getting better clarity but rather a louder and more meaty sound im guessing.

amping will result in more clarity, louder, and "meatyer" sound that the headunit would ever give.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:24 pm 
T51

Car: Subaru Liberty
The reason your turning it up so loud and not getting the clarity and volume you want out of what you have atm, is mostly due to your door and little rattling things absorbing the sound.
The best option would be to deaden and solidify the door as best you can, which can be tricky when trying to conserve weight at the same time.
I found that using some thin ply wood cut to cover the holes behind the trims and held with some gaffer tape did the trick. Further yet if you can deaden at least the area immediately behind the speakers would help heaps too.
Try this before you go fork out for some splits and amp. It may be all you need.

DeLuxe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:40 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
get a small 2 channel responce amp
cheap and effective

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:55 pm 
T28 Hybrid

mokompri wrote:
get a small 2 channel responce amp
cheap and effective

I hate the ReSponse amps... even for the money they really aren't worth it.

maybe its just that I have a 2 channel Sansui amp that I got for free, this is better made, and seems to be higher power than the ReSponse amps. Either way, the 2 channel, blue ReSponse amps have insufficient heatsinking, filter caps, and are just cheap and nasty in my opinion.

anyone wanna buy a near new, barely used 2X84 watt ReSponse amp? in original box, with manual, etc, one screw missing from the back but you can't see it when its mounted. $110.... I'm in Adelaide..

wait, I just dissed the amp and called in crap, and now I expect someone to BUY one from ME?!? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:36 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
mmm wierd, never heard of any overheating problems with them..

there not the best, but from the description of what he wants i think it would suit the application
they have always gotten fairly good reviews as well, and ive seen one of these small blue ones in use and it worked fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:39 pm 
T28 Hybrid

from my experience, a cheap, 2 X 30 watt Avalanche amp ran a pair of 6.5inch Alpine coaxials better than a ReSponse 2 X 84 watt amp.... I didn't believe it at first either, I was used to hearing them off the ReSponse amp, and then my friend swapped back to the Avalache, and the difference was very noticable. The speakers used to distort fairly easily with the ReSponse, and we always just contributed it to too much power, buy the Avalanche went louder, and cleaner.

also, I've run subs off the ReSponse amp that its supposid 200+watts should have killed, but the amp was clipping, and the speaker was still bumping along nicely.

I'd never buy a blue ReSponse amp again, the black 2 X 150watts, I'd definatly look into for great bang for buck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:09 pm 
T78

Car: S14a, Euro Accord Lux
i say buy RESPONSE 6.5", theyre relaly good, bang for ur buck, go jaycar electronics, theyd tell u whats the best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:02 pm 
T28 Hybrid

fwost wrote:
i say buy RESPONSE 6.5", theyre relaly good, bang for ur buck, go jaycar electronics, theyd tell u whats the best

they tend to lack bass when mounted free air... if you're willing to make ported, tuned speaker pods for your doors, then go for it...