Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:15 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: Holden VT Calais Supercharged
Hey guys... I want to know what exactly i would need to buy to install a turbo on my 1992 s13 sr20. And get a rough idea on how much it would cost me. It's an auto (but when money becomes available later on i will change that fact - but would need to ask how again) so please be gentle...

One final thing. I've heard them talk about street legal, and have been wondering about engineer's certificates. What would i do to get one, where would i go and how much would it be?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:16 am 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
Hi Sico.
One tip, troll up. I have been trolling these forums for months to get the answers to the same questions.

That wasn't me being harsh BTW. Just a comment.

Ok, turbos depend on your liking and price range. Anything that will fit a T25/T28 flange will do you.
You have a wide selection of turbos for a wide price range. How much do you have to spend?
I did it on the cheap and got a KKR380 from Otomoto (http://www.otomoto.com.au/kkr/turbos/index.html).
These are cheap but do the job fairly well (even Luie from Drift Garage runs one on his daily).

If you are doing it more on a drifter budget, watch the for sale section and www.nissansilvia.com for sale section.
Trust me you can pic up some great bargains from around here.
Look out for a T28 from an S15, they are a punchy little turbo and a nice upgrade for a street S13.

Depending on the turbo you may need a new exhaust manifold, new lines etc.

Ball park for turbo few hundred for a T28 up to 1.5k for a mean punch packing Garrett.

Auto -> manual isn't too hard.
It's mainly time consuming there are some good guides floating around, if you can't find them, make a post and I will try to dig them up.

Engineer's cert = headache time.
To get one you need to find an RTA approved engineer to go over your car.
Every time you make any new mods hello having to get a new engineer cert.
Therefore you may be better off waiting until you are finished modding.
Of the top of my head they are about $500. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Any more questions fire away, we were all new at playing with our cars at some point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:27 pm 
T28 Hybrid

cheers mate! Pretty much explained the whole process to me. Reason being for the idea is I want to make the car more fuel efficient. I heard somewhere that since the turbine creates more pressure, it creates a bigger output using less fuel. Is this correct?

At the moment I've recently serviced. Changed oil filter, air filter, oil, going to change fuel filter, and want to change o2 sensor, and maybe CAT and exhaust, but i want more of an idea. Cheers for the trolling advice too... It's how i found out the fuel filter guide hehehe. cheaper than spending 400 bux on a service and not having a car for a day. $150 and two hours (if that) of minor work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:22 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
depends on how you drive and how much wear you want to put on the turbo.
Drive with a heavy foot and it doesn't matter what turbo you have, you can just wave goodbye to your fuel.

Post subject: What the?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 pm 
T28 Hybrid

Hey guys, I heard that they're phasing out the run of the mill engineers certificate, and replacing it with a longer and more arduous process. I'll be calling the RTA on monday to find out, and what it means for tuners and "gonna turbo my car"ists.