Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:02 pm 
T66

Car: granpa's jz83 cressida
splashman wrote:
Camtech offer to reground stock cams, or machine new billet items.

I'd be finding out which one of these options was chosen in your case.

As far as I'm aware, the main problem with "reground" cams is in the hardening process. I can't speak for camtech as I'm unaware of their exact process, but most reground cams are only flamed hardened after the final grind, which only hardens a few thou deep.

Flame hardening should be done before the final grind and then again after the final grind, but this requires them to set the grind up twice, thus more time consuming and expensive.

I'm not 100% sure if thats correct, but I think the basic idea is there.

get that man a new!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:12 pm 
Twin T78

Car: 1993 180SX
the ones that Unigroup sells aren't reground stock cams. They are brand new billet items that are custom ground/machined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:19 pm 
Twin T51

Car: coon
Yavuz isn't silly enough to buy reground cams, but that doesn't mean camtech are smart enough not to supply them.

What are you buying from camtech that you can't buy from any other reputable brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:21 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
The biggest issue by far with reground cams is that it reduces the base circle to restore the cam specs. If they are factory grinds on new billet blanks, then they are not reground they are merely custom grinds like Listen 180sx said..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:38 pm 
Twin T51

Hence why they're not called "REgrinds". I even specified that camtech can supply both.

I was mearly suggesting that who ever decides to use camtechs, makes for certain that they're not regrinds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:41 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
when you can get HKS cams for ~$570 delivered, i would need alot of evidence to convince me to go with something else.

killer price considering the r&d that they would have spent, and the quality that your getting from HKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:02 pm 
T66 Hybrid

Car: S15
they are a brand new cams that are created to thier specification, they are not regrounds.

i get the car back on Tuesday so ill let you know how it goes and whether these cams are good. im sure they will be very good though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:35 pm 
Twin T78

they are excellent. I'm super happy with the results. The cams are specc'd so that the VCT remains, and there is no need for adjustable cam gears either. 198rwkw@13psi with a very fat mid-range (very safe conservative tune on a 40degree day)..

mokompri, that was my original thought too, and i actually had a set of tomei poncams on order, but changed my mind after having a good chat to yavuz about them. hks etc make their 'step 1' cams to suit all mildly modified applications from those with no mods through to all levels of mods. yavuz has specc'd his cams to specifically benefit cars that are at a suitable level of mods for them to really shine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:51 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
How much are the ones Yavuz sells?

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:56 pm 
Twin T51

Yavuz would sell them to you for not much more than what he paid for them I'd imagine.

When we were discussing cam options, one of the ideas we threw around was to use a longer duration smaller lift cam that we'd get from camtech. I would of dealt with camtech directly in that case.

Ultimately though, something off the shelf from one of the major brands was going to the job fine, as mucking around with something unproven wasn't my cup of tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:04 pm 
Twin T78

I got mine supplied/fitted at the same time as alot of other work, so the price was all kinda bundled up, but i think around $1000 fitted.... (don't quote me on that though). No idea about a supply only price..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:20 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: 200SX
No doubt hes probably going to try and sell his cams over other suppliers cos he gets a cut from it! Unless theres a back to back comparison vs Tomei, HKSetc I'd still be wary about 'custom cams' cos its a bit more than just a matter of 2nd guessing a profile, slapping it on a few customers' cars and then flogging it off as the latest and greatest. It takes lots of time, money and patience. I have nothing against Yavuz or Unigroup, I think they're great but I just want to offer my perspective on this. I think 'secret grinds' are stupid - I'd like to know what I was paying for, as its not as if a secret grind is going to make it gazzillion times better than off most off the shelf products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:36 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
splashman wrote:
When we were discussing cam options, one of the ideas we threw around was to use a longer duration smaller lift cam that we'd get from camtech.

less lift relative to what, hks step 1's ?

what was the reasoning behind this ? i prefer things the other way around, to reduce overlap and maintain the cars 'daily driver' characteristics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 am 
T66 Hybrid

Car: S15
yeah they are a $1000 fitted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:04 pm 
Twin T51

mokompri wrote:
less lift relative to what, hks step 1's ?

what was the reasoning behind this ? i prefer things the other way around, to reduce overlap and maintain the cars 'daily driver' characteristics.

We didn't get into actual specifics regarding cam specs, more so getting an idea for what we wanted out of the engine regarding response vs top end.

Yes I agree the basic idea is to have short duration bigger lift in regard to aftermarket cams used in daily driven setups, in my case however I'm retaining vtc while using a 3071. Hence why the lower lift was mentioned originally in regards to extending the life of the vtc. This idea was brief and never really considered for the simple fact it goes against the grain of how the valve train works (higher lift = more air, short duration = less overlap). Any of the off the shelf items are going to do the job required in this instance.

I only mentioned it to say that if I were to work with Yavuz on a "custom grind" I wouldn't bother going through him to order them, I'd deal direct with camtech.

Oh and if there is anything wrong with my reasonings, please don't hesitate to correct me, I'm still researching this shit going through my first build and still getting the grasp of some concepts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next