Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:38 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
mokompri wrote:
i thought the main difference was exhaust gasses were kept seperate until the turbine housing, this helped flow, spool up and was a good measure to help against reversion

stock EVO's (certain models) run split manifold and turbine housings. there was a thread on here about their turbos

Not exactly sure how much it would help with reversion as most tube type exhausts only come together at the collector, so the gas velocity has pretty much already been dictated by bends and tube size...

The link Dave posted show a picture of the split exhaust housing. I was always under the impression that devider went a fair distance into the turbine housing.

The only way I can see this whole thing working is when the pipes all come into one at the collector and into the enterence area of the turbine housing the area seems to grow which may result in loss of pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:41 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
Busky2k wrote:
Well I believed with split turbine housings, the nozzle area each pulse has to fill is half of that in a traditional housing, meaning faster gas velocity as it enters the turbine blades. Once the gas speeds are high (at full boost) the diffeerence would be negliable?

interesting point, yeah each exhaust pulse would be exiting a nozzle half the size. so theres faster nozzle velocity, but each nozzle only needs to support 2 pulses, so flow wise they should be similar. win win situation !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 pm 
Token Old Guy

mokompri wrote:
Busky2k wrote:
Well I believed with split turbine housings, the nozzle area each pulse has to fill is half of that in a traditional housing, meaning faster gas velocity as it enters the turbine blades. Once the gas speeds are high (at full boost) the diffeerence would be negliable?

interesting point, yeah each exhaust pulse would be exiting a nozzle half the size. so theres faster nozzle velocity, but each nozzle only needs to support 2 pulses, so flow wise they should be similar. win win situation !

each firing sequence would be in alternate sides maybe this would also aid gas flow???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:45 pm 
Quad T66

182Go wrote:
Not exactly sure how much it would help with reversion as most tube type exhausts only come together at the collector, so the gas velocity has pretty much already been dictated by bends and tube size...

The link Dave posted show a picture of the split exhaust housing. I was always under the impression that devider went a fair distance into the turbine housing.

The only way I can see this whole thing working is when the pipes all come into one at the collector and into the enterence area of the turbine housing the area seems to grow which may result in loss of pressure.

thats exactly it, at the collector they all come together and its not always a smooth transition.

that divider goes ALL the way to the turbine blades, it doesnt ever merge together. this should make more sense in explaining how it helps reversion, and also you can see that loss of pressure/expansion doesnt occur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:48 pm 
Quad T66

182Go wrote:
each firing sequence would be in alternate sides maybe this would also aid gas flow???

yeap the manifold is made based on the firing sequence, although i have no idea what it is off the top of my head :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: 200SX
Yeah on Tomei's site you can see how they do the proper firing sequence for a SR20 and split pulse design;

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catal ... ld_en.html

Again a waste because there are no T2 split housings. But yeah a split pulse certainly seems a sweet idea. Even the EVOs are split. I wish someone out there in the world would test the split pulse housings that ATP are offering!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:20 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
oh crap. what have i done! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:40 am 
Token Old Guy

hahaha... you started a conversation with the blind leading the blind and best calculated guesses :lol:

Interesting Busky that they took no 1 over the far side and increased the length rather than bringing no 4 over to even it up....

Curious why they didn't take the devider right up to the face of the flange...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:17 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Well it seems Tomei chose unequal length to have the shortest runners possible for response. Tomei put cyl 1 onto the far side of the collector because it may have been difficult to put cyl 2&3 on the opposite side?

And yeah not sure why the divider plate doesn't go all the way to the flange. There must be a reason because the stock manifold is exactly the same!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:32 pm 
Token Old Guy

Busky2k wrote:
Well it seems Tomei chose unequal length to have the shortest runners possible for response. Tomei put cyl 1 onto the far side of the collector because it may have been difficult to put cyl 2&3 on the opposite side?

And yeah not sure why the divider plate doesn't go all the way to the flange. There must be a reason because the stock manifold is exactly the same!

only reason I could think of is to share some of the pulse across both sides of the devider to keep the load even, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.. so stuffed if I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:39 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Yeah no Idea on that one. Some have actually ground away the divider plate in the stock manifold with no effect on power or spool. IIRC, one said it was actually a backwards step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:03 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
182Go wrote:
why they didn't take the devider right up to the face of the flange...

probably because there are no split pulse turbo housings to take advantage of it :P
I'd say the divider is there more to direct the flow in the right direction than to keep the pulses "split"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:07 pm 
Token Old Guy

DumHed wrote:
182Go wrote:
why they didn't take the devider right up to the face of the flange...

probably because there are no split pulse turbo housings to take advantage of it :P
I'd say the divider is there more to direct the flow in the right direction than to keep the pulses "split"

You may be on to something there. If the pulses are not fighting each other (i.e try to push each other out of the way) and they use a fixed devider to guide the flow it may promote a more even flow with reduced turbulance...

However if there was no split turbine housing why not take it all the way to the top if you one day get a split turbine housing???

Food for thought... The new manifold I am getting made will have 1 & 2 + 3 & 4 connected so I could run a devider 90 degrees to the nornal direction...

Just a thought if an external waste gate comes off one side of the manifold / devider that might upset the balance of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:16 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
if you ran the divider all the way to the flange level you'd end up with an area smaller than an exhaust port on each half, so it would be restrictive.
By running it only part of the way it'll direct the flow nicely but allow more area through the flange for flow.
On something like a T4 housing there's plenty of room for a full split pulse design without restricting flow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:05 pm 
Token Old Guy

DumHed wrote:
if you ran the divider all the way to the flange level you'd end up with an area smaller than an exhaust port on each half, so it would be restrictive.
By running it only part of the way it'll direct the flow nicely but allow more area through the flange for flow.
On something like a T4 housing there's plenty of room for a full split pulse design without restricting flow.

Good point may not work so well on a T25/28 style flange but on the larger T3 it shouldn't be a problem. Guess that is why I have never seen the split design on the smaller exhaust housings.

I was talking to the guys from Liverpool about the big angle the pipes entered the collector on the existing manifold and suggested that maybe we could go with a shallower angle to reduce the collector volume and reduce the turbulance, they didn't seem to have any problem with that...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next