Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Turbine A/R Ratio
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:58 pm 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
Just thinking if a turbo uses an external wategate which dumps the excess gas prior to it going into the turbo, would you use a smaller turbine A/R since it doesn't have to cope with as much exhaust gas passing through it, or would it make no difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:34 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
it'll have the same effect as it does with an internal wastegate, but you could probably get away with a slightly smaller A/R with an external gate.

It will still reduce the peak power because the turbine won't get as much flow without producing too much restriction, so it won't be able to drive the compressor as hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:51 pm 
Token Old Guy

Yeah I was just reading through the basics on the Garrett website and it got me thinking. I thought there might be a marginal gain but not massive.

This is from their website "However, the vast majority of gasoline performance applications require a Wastegates. There are two (2) configurations of Wastegates, internal or external. Both internal and external Wastegates provide a means to bypass exhaust flow from the turbine wheel. Bypassing this energy (e.g. exhaust flow) reduces the power driving the turbine wheel to match the power required for a given boost level. Similar to the BOV, the Wastegates uses boost pressure and spring force to regulate the flow bypassing the turbine."

I was thinking if all of the energy going into the turbine housing was being used to turn the turbine instead of some of it being lost out of the internal wastegate, this would have to result in a slightly faster spool... And maybe slightly more top end.

Just found this bit..."External Wastegates are added to the exhaust plumbing on the exhaust manifold or header. The advantage of external Wastegates is that the bypassed flow can be reintroduced into the exhaust stream further downstream of the turbine. This tends to
improve the turbine’s performance. On racing applications, this Wastegated exhaust flow can be vented directly to atmosphere."

Last edited by 182Go on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm 
Takumi

the internal wastegate is still before the turbine though.

The benefit of the external gate is that it can be larger, and it doesn't interfere with the flow through the turbo as much.
When the wastegate is closed there's not a lot of difference between internal and external, except that external gate housings will generate less turbulence due to a smoother shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:24 pm 
Token Old Guy

Thanks for that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:40 pm 
T78 Hybrid

Car: S13 Onevia
182go u should give up now and buy a holden astra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:46 am 
Twin T51

Car: coon
QIK513 wrote:
182go u should give up now and buy a holden astra

turbo astra?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:13 am 
T78 Hybrid

Car: S13 Onevia
hah no turbo car ,, maybe a hyundai excel :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:45 am 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
DumHed wrote:
..and it doesn't interfere with the flow through the turbo as much..

ive always wondered how much benefit this really gave, the flow through the turbine housing would be better, but then every externally wastegated manifold ive seen has a wastegate pipe welded at 90 degrees to the runners for the wastegate, i cant see this being good for flow through the manifold. alot of the time it looks like it will cause turbulent flow through the collector as thats where its usually attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:58 am 
Takumi

yeah they are usually still pretty ugly, but seem to work ok...

Not being in the actual turbo housing probably gives enough space for the flow to smooth out on its way in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:30 pm 
Token Old Guy

not sure how this would effect the grand scheme of things but I would have thought that once it hit the turbine housing it would be under the greatest amount of pressure, since before this point it has a full sized runners and a larger collector area.

The less volume of air going into the compressed turbine housing would have to result in less heat being transferred to the turbo??? maybe a greater life span of the turbo??? bleeding the air off in the collector area where it has a larger quantity of available air through a larger wastegate would have to relieve the pressure build up more effective... does this give a more accurate control and stop boost spiking???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:20 pm 
Quad T66

DumHed wrote:
yeah they are usually still pretty ugly, but seem to work ok...

much like internal wastegates :)

Quote:
Not being in the actual turbo housing probably gives enough space for the flow to smooth out on its way in.

i would expect the same to occur with the internal as well, as the wastegate flap is just at the start of the 'scroll' part of the housing, exhaust flow should become laminar a little further down the scroll before it hits the turbine wheel.

182Go wrote:
The less volume of air going into the compressed turbine housing would have to result in less heat being transferred to the turbo??? maybe a greater life span of the turbo??? bleeding the air off in the collector area where it has a larger quantity of available air through a larger wastegate would have to relieve the pressure build up more effective... does this give a more accurate control and stop boost spiking???

i dont think heat is really an issue anymore with ball bearing turbos in terms of affecting their life span, its not something i would take into consideration for the 'pros' of an external gate.

in regards to the pressure point your making, in theory it may be detrimental to flow, but like i mentioned before its a toss up between having flow interrupted there, or in the manifold. Im confident that any boost spiking/accuracy problems are a result of a poorly setup boost controller, rather then anything to do with the differences of external and internal gates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:39 pm 
Takumi

external gate setups do often seem to provide better response than a comparable internal gate setup, and better boost control, but it's hard to have a direct comparison when there are other differences involved.

For most cases I'd definitely use an internally gated turbo (much simpler, more reliable, cheaper, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:43 pm 
Token Old Guy

so at the end of the day.. does it simply come down to the external wastegate operating more efficently than internal? ok you posted while I was taking a phone call... so if there not more reliable then why does anyone go external?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:11 pm 
Quad T66

DumHed wrote:
external gate setups do often seem to provide better response than a comparable internal gate setup, and better boost control,

do you mean like spool up time, or transitional mid throttle response ?

i agree that it can be difficult at times getting exactly the sort of boost characteristics out of an internal, i have had such problems ! but they have always been because the boost controller wasnt effective enough, or setup correctly, or both

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next