Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CAI and dyno tyne....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:16 am 
T25

Car: S15
hey guys ,installing my front mount this week (hybrid gt)...already have a power fc,,, no newhere GOOD and cheap that does cold air intake and dyno tyne.... !!would ne1 know the price ??? was thinking crd or advan or bel? dont no newher else?.... last guys F***ed it up at ruf performance!!!!!!.... thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:53 am 
Quad T88

Car: Nissan 180SX
i dont know why you would be spending money on tunes if you dont have injectors or aftermarket air flow meters

its a waste of money until you get those, epsiecailly if you didnt even have a FMIC yet.

the stock computer does just fine up until that point.

for example,

last dyno day, had an s15 with FMIC, Full Exhuast Turbo Back, Pod Filter and a Boost Controller, he made 184 RWKW 15psi of boost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:17 pm 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Sorry but thats a load of rubbish mark. It's easy to get a great peak power number untuned, just have a dying fuel pump so you're leaning out in the top end. What looking at just a number won't show you however is everywhere else in the rev range, where you drive 99.9% of the time, the car is giving away a stack of power, response and generall all round drivability. The idea that you have to have a larger maf and injectors to make a tune worthwhile is utterly absurd. You need to spend less time looking at the magic number on a piece of paper and more time thinking about what the car is like to actually drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:55 pm 
Quad T88

greg im speaking simply from a $$$ point of view

with some tunes costing in excess of $600 dyno time, it is not a cheap feat to keep undertaking every time you put on an intercooler or cold air induction.

you dont really need to tune it, just by simply wacking a FMIC onto a car. i would wait until i had performed more mods, and upgraded the fuel system at least before i would do anything with respect to tuning.

there are many cars out there running off factory ECUs which still drive well and make decent power.

That car that made 184 rwkw on the standard computer was not leaning out, it actually still had plenty of fuel going into it to be "safe" and if i were the owner would be happy with the result, and then the next step would be to do fuel pump, injectors, and the air flow meter.

If you dont plan on extracting any more power from the car, by all means go tune it to drive well. If you plan on carry out further modifiactions in the near future, i would save your beans and buy more goodies and then get a good tune

greg, whilst i do not question your knowledge in regards to said subject, and i for one have been a good follower of your advice in past discussions, i personally would live with the car unless it was as far as i was going to take the goals in power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:28 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: S15
i agree with mark on this one, i wouldnt have the money to tuned my car everytime i did something unless i was going to change more parts such as injectors, turbo, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:04 pm 
Quad T88

if your car tune is fucked though, sorry i didnt read that part DC200, i would only take my car to CRD in Silverwater

http://www.croydonracingdevelopments.com.au

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:41 am 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
You don't need it tuned everytime you do something however as soon as you have an exhaust a tune will make a massive difference as the standard ecu does not cope well at all. Add an intercooler to that setup and an additional tune won't make much difference. As soon as you have that exhaust your mixtures go serously rich in the midrange not only costing you a massive amount of power and response but also costing you a significant amount of money. At any rate mark, the tune in question here is after the intercooler and what I was refering to was your comment that a tune was a waste of time with standard injectors and maf.