Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:49 am 
T51

Car: S14
was wondering what the smallest coolers are that you guys have seen/have worked on the SR20's (specifically S14) at around 14psi, stock turbo. See heaps of coolers that dwarf the front of the car, but it seems like overkill with the amount of lag you are generating for yourself, with the extra compression load being generated...? thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:17 pm 
Twin T04

Car: SR20DET Navara and 2002 Lancer
not true.
lag is usually peoduced by a COMBINATION of a larger cooler with the rest of your turbo system, you can retune your car to cope with a larger cooler.
this is harder without an aftermarket computer but there are still alot of non computer mods that will anti-lag your system.
and you must remember, the MASS of the cooler has a big effect on its ability to HEAT SINK. as your car is not always moving fast i.e. the first 2 seconds of a drag your turbo is working hard but theres not much flow, you need something that can ABSORB the heat from the air travelling through until you start moving again, or move faster.
inside the tubes of a cooler are little fins that create a small amount of turbulance to get the air to make contact with the metal of the cooler, the longer air is in the cooler, the more contact it make with the cooler and the closer it gets to atmospheric temperature = more boost
cold air = more dense = more mass
the mass of the air passing into the engine determines power NOT the volume.
BIGGER IS BETTER

sorry to shout, im not a prick, i just like coolers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:10 pm 
Hi

It all depends on the quality of the unit and how much you think is a reasonable price to pay. Look at http://www.unrealautosports.com, apparently they can get just about any intercooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:02 pm 
Quad T88

Car: My Feet
UTENVY, yeah ok agree in part but there are big coolers that have design flaws which actually inhibit air flow, so bigger is not always better.
You need to find one with a good internal desgin which helps to spread the air all over the the cooler while is still big enough to cool the air.
So to say bigger is better is not entirley true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:10 pm 
Twin T04

yes, i agree the internal design has alot to do with it but short of bench testing every cooler you are looking at buying, there's no real way of knowing exactly how that internal design will combine with the particular volume of airflow of your turbo. (CFM)

the efficiency of each internal design will change according to airflow (i believe-someone please bitch-slap me if im way off) because say, one with small internal fins will be for large airflow where little turbulance is needed (to decrease the pressure drop) and large fins could be used on one meant for small airflow as they could create more turbulance without causing a large pressure drop. So the real thing i believe is to find one that is designed for roughly the same CFM with the largest 3D surface area and mass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:04 am 
T51

Car: S14
Sweet, thanks. sheds a tonne of light... Next question(s) <sorry to be a pain in the a$$> With the really bulky coolers (like the 150MM thick cores etc, does the rest of the engine coolant system (ie radiator) suffer, and start cooking, or is there enough airflow for all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:36 pm 
Twin T04

not really sure, mine's only 50mm thick for a number of reasons mainly fitting and cost. undoubtedly it would have benefits but the best way to find out if it restricts flow would be to take a manometer reading in front and behind the core.