Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: exhaust manifolds
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:17 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 93 B13 NX-R
yo,

just wonder has anyone used a manifold and turbo from a RWD sr20det on a FWD sr20det?????

is it possible?????

just looking at ways to make my car go zoooommm

thanx all

jaydee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:37 am 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
Dont wast you time with turboing a DE put the whole half cut in less problems in the long run and it can handle the boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:07 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
with the price of engine packages for the FWD sr20's your much better off swapping the engine rather than trying to turbo a DE. Even thou turbo DE's tend to go a little harder than DET's (from what I have seen) you will end up with a little less custom manufacting that needs doing and will more than likely end up with alot less headaches and sleepless nights during the whole process :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:17 pm 
Quad T78

hobzta wrote:
with the price of engine packages for the FWD sr20's your much better off swapping the engine rather than trying to turbo a DE. Even thou turbo DE's tend to go a little harder than DET's (from what I have seen) you will end up with a little less custom manufacting that needs doing and will more than likely end up with alot less headaches and sleepless nights during the whole process :)

And there is less chance of fucking you engine NA engines arn't built to take boost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:59 pm 

Car: Skoda Octavia RS
he also didnt ask those questions in this thread

im not exactly sure of the configuration of a FWD DET exhaust manifold. but the location of the turbo on a RWD DET exhaust pust the turbo not in the middle, but towards the rear of the motor, or down between cylinders 3 and 4. maybe the FWD locates the turbo between cyl 2 and 3?

BUT, im pretty sure the DET manifolds will bolt up, either a stock one or a tuned one. you may just need some custom piping to suite the location of the turbo however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 pm 
T04 Hybrid

thanks for the feedback zei.

i found out today your right.. the rwd config is between 3 and 4 as the front is 2 and 3. the rwd manifold will cause the dump pipe to come into the powersteering pump. i will definately need a ff or custom manifold.

as for turboing the de. yes it will make more power. yes it will handle the power. sr's were built on a budget. both to be cheaply made and to be durable (low recall and warranty) thus it should handle a little boost no problems. considering im intending on using an EMS unit in the car it will be tunned fine. tunned right there is no reason for it to blow other than wear and tear. the extra compression results in higher exhaustflow overall giving Stronger more Respnsive power out of the turbo unit when spooling.

if you intend to forge up a motor i suggest u ask around what people think of using compression ratios of 9.0 rather than 8.0 perhaps higher again. i have seen a ca18 running 9.75:1 with 18 psi or something from a relitively easy fitted turbo charger unit producing 275 RWKW. it can be found on the HALTECH website im fairly sure.

remember boost = pressure in the cylinder = raised compression

high compression engine has a lower final result than a turbo charger unit as the added airflow from the aspiration results in alot more torque. so theoreticaly you can get your power figures from lower boost levels on smaller turbos. the result will be a faster spooling engine needing less boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:23 pm 

also, the manifolds to 'high mount' the turbo on ebay etc put the turbo right in the middle of the runners. so that might be a better option for you? but then you will need to have a custom dump made up AND hope that the turbo clears the bonnet and anything above it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:58 pm 
T04 Hybrid

that would be an awesome setup yet i dont think the turbo would make it at all -_-

ill keep it in mind..

the car i saw at ricol was running a GT30 fwd and was still low mount.. bonnet clearance would be an absolute bitch unfortunately

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:01 am 

i cant remember what the stud pattern is like, but you MIGHT be able to mount a 'high mount' manifold upside down and make it a low mount.

EDIT: now that i think about the stud pattern in the head, that wont work :(

you might need some custom work or use a stock DET FWD manifold if you can find one without a motor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:44 am 
T04 Hybrid

yeah once i get rid of my old car i can start on this.. thats when ill hunt down the manifold.

no point sourcing one now im not rich enuff haha

i got offered a manifold for $100 from a FWD and i have a turbo that needs a complete rebuild.
ne idea wat thats worth ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:00 am 

thats an average price for the manifold, but RWD ones are more common than the FWD variety so that COULD be a good price. as for the turbo, depends on where you go to get it rebuilt will affect the cost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:02 pm 
Quad T78

shadowR wrote:
as for turboing the de. yes it will make more power. yes it will handle the power. sr's were built on a budget. both to be cheaply made and to be durable (low recall and warranty) thus it should handle a little boost no problems. considering im intending on using an EMS unit in the car it will be tunned fine. tunned right there is no reason for it to blow other than wear and tear. the extra compression results in higher exhaustflow overall giving Stronger more Respnsive power out of the turbo unit when spooling.

It will handle a little boost no probs but not alot the is a reason turbo cars have a lower compressionyour asking for problems in the long run.

shadowR wrote:
remember boost = pressure in the cylinder = raised compression

And you want to put boost in an already high compression engine

shadowR wrote:
high compression engine has a lower final result than a turbo charger unit as the added airflow from the aspiration results in alot more torque. so theoreticaly you can get your power figures from lower boost levels on smaller turbos. the result will be a faster spooling engine needing less boost.
It still wont be as good as a DET how long do you exprct your engine to last

If it was me I would do the job proply and put in a DET insteed of putting a turbo on a DE. U13 1/2 cuts are very cheap now but hay its your car do what you like

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:13 pm 
Quad T04

Car: S13 Silvia
Quote:
And you want to put boost in an already high compression engine?

Thats right, mmmm response.
DE cams are also a touch more agressive then DET. I worked out dynamic comp ratios on a S13 DE vs DET and found that a DET at 16psi is around equal to a DE at 10psi. You will have a smaller margain of error with the tune though. With a good tune you can see over 200rwkw (done in WA by a fair few blokes now) from a S13DE motor. Later higher comp motors take less, but i belive the NX has same come as S13DE. My own SR20DE went like a champ, took 5 whole days of flogging at drift days without any signs of pinging and it's still going strong now :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 am 

Car: MKV Golf
I seem to remember an article in some mag a while ago that featured a GT Autosound S14 or 15 that had a turboed DE engine in it.

From memory it made good numbers and was pretty tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:01 pm 

Shadow this might help you out:

http://pforums.company-hosting.com/foru ... t=67198224