Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:52 am 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 93 B13 NX-R
Hey all,

just wondering if anyone has turbo charged a SR20DE motor using the oil and water lines off a DET motor for the turbo.

for the price of a det half cut i can get alot more done turboing the de (full ecu head work cams mayb more)

if i got the factory oil and water lines from a DET motor will they bolt into the same locations on my DE or am i wasting my time??

regards

jaydee

p.s. my first post hehehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:16 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
Welcome to SilviaNSW :)

the oil lines could be made to bolt in, but you have to drill the holes in the block and tap the correct threads.
From the factory the bosses where they mount are also machined flat to properly seat against the washer and banjo bolt, which will be almost impossible to do by hand.

Basically, if you can do all the work yourself and have most of the bits already a DE+T setup can be cheaper than a DET swap, but won't have the potential to make as much power.

A DET swap is easily done in a weekend and generally causes a lot less problems.

Is this for the NX or an S13?

If it's the NX you'll find it much easier to do a DET swap, as the FWD SR20DETs are pretty cheap to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:20 pm 
T04 Hybrid

its going into my 93 nx-r, i know where ur comming from although the cut is 2500 exhaust 1000 and intercooler 600 totaling 4100..

say i get a 2nd hand turbo and manifold.. (already have one lined up for basicaly nothing...) and well pretend im paying 500.. its 400 for a dump.. i have a cat.. and 450 for a mandrel 3 inch cat back.. plus 600 for the intercooler.. and custom oil and water lines costing me 300 from a pro

totaling 2250.....

thats still a saving of 1850.. im no dummy i could rebuild my own engine.. say 900 for forgies and unigroup have quoted aprox 900 for a daughter board to suit my engine..

ill have more power more reliablility and a whole FIFTY BUCKS left over!!!!! thats a few good bottles of vodka to celebrate!!

tell me what u think of all that jazz im keen to get the job done on this car i love it

jaydee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:04 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Sound's like you've done a bit of leg work already which is always good.

There's nothing wrong with what you are proposing as long as you are going to be happy with a lower max power than an equivalent DET.

dumhed has actually done the job with good results but the most power that could be acheived was about 180rwkw from memory, any more boost or ignition and it pinged. The bottom end was pretty impressive though.

That said you can always get a thicker metal headgasket to drop the comp back to 9:1 or so and run more boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:14 pm 
T04 Hybrid

180 rwkw is insane..... think of it in a NX-R... i want to maintain drivability as i cant say im the easiest driver... i got no understeer at the moment and want to keep it that way.. well see how it goes i guess.. 120 atw might be enough for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:53 am 
Takumi

I've seen some FWD SR20DETs for around the $1000 mark, which could be a better bet, especially if you can keep your loom and just swap the ECU, or get the daughterboard done.

A rebuild will always be a lot more work and cost a lot more than you expect if you do it properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:56 am 
Banned

Car: 1991 RPS13 180SX
120fwkw should be reasonably easy WITHOUT the turbo (once again, DumHed did it :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:26 am 
T04 Hybrid

yeah should be easy to obtain.. yet turbo is easier.. and more of a novelty.. plus i can get multiple ecu profiles going one day for race and for rip.. my driving and burn off cunts at the lights driving..

theres alot to consider.. at this rate im extremely happy with the car.. its hardcore for a 2L non turbs and corners like its on guided rail roads.. tiz ridiculous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:32 am 
T04 Hybrid

DumHed wrote:
I've seen some FWD SR20DETs for around the $1000 mark, which could be a better bet, especially if you can keep your loom and just swap the ECU, or get the daughterboard done.

A rebuild will always be a lot more work and cost a lot more than you expect if you do it properly.

thats damn cheap depending on whats included.. does it come with all turbo and manifolds etc.. does it come with ecu and wiring harness.. if not i guess i could use my standard de intake manifolds with the det injectors and use a after market boost controller and a daughter card.. guess thatd work quite well..

for what i want to do the general gist is to turbo my engine i think.. people swear by these engines claiming they never blow on stock internals and safe boost levels provided theyre tunned right.. i duno man so much jazz to get thru my head..

well see what i do in the end

jaydee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:41 am 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
He is right I picked up a complete running early model U13 bluebird engine for $1100 about 2 months ago. No loom etc but you don't need any of that anyways.

I would assume you have already researched the DET conversion into a FWD pulsar and know roughly whats involved??

What sort of suspension set-up do you have in the NX-R to make it handle like that? Most of the ones I have driven are soggy and boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:18 am 
T28

Car: 2001 200sx
i did a conversion into a sss pulsar. started from the sr20de. the conversion ended up costing around $2000.
i got a u12 bluebird sr20det engine from a place in paramatta supplied with ecu.
you just use the standard sr20de loom and hook it all up to the turbo motor and plug in the turbo computer.
really simple conversion. the other $700 went to all the other fidly bits and peices.
it was about a year ago prices might have gone up. but the car flew hey.
the u12 comes with top mount intercooler so you dont have to worry about intercooler plumbing ect.

also you will be able to sell your de motor for about $500 to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:33 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
you'll be better off building a tough NA engine. particularly if you don't want huge power.

turbo swaps in FF cars are hardly a novelty anymore. so many have been done with bluebird and GTiR engine transplants that noone takes any notice of your supposed uniqueness. and then when you try and drive the thing fast with no LSD and dumped suspension all they do is laugh at you as you torque steer and single wheel spin down the road.

throw a few grand at your current SR20DE and you'll get 120-130kw atw without a huge amount of effort. I've seen 115kw atw out of an N15 SSS with just mild cams,upped compression,a cheap exhaust,intake and an off the shelf chip,so it's not like it's hard to make power.

get some decent cams,valve springs,rocker stoppers,high comp pistons,a haltech or similar,and if you really want to get decent numbers,a quad throttle kit. balance it all well,polish up the ports and chambers,and you'll have a happy little package that'll shit all over a low boost turbo setup.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:59 am 
Quad T78

I agree...I reakon these FWD converted turbos (like corrollas and excels) are sickening. They are the type of people who ask what blow-off valve makes which noise.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:54 pm 
T04 Hybrid

i picked the car up at the auction for a steal price.. minor damage yet came with stacks of white line suspension bits..

strut brace
front sway bar
rear sway bar
variable rate springs
shocks of some sort
and who knows what else

nobody knew what they were looking at honnestly, me and my brother are the type of guys that push the cars to their all out limits.. i had my old car (85 magna) matching the corner speed of my friends S14.. both cars could clock a certain S bend in our area at a maximum of 130 kph and still hold to the road well. im scared to find out what this NX can do.. from what ive driven the car at the moment im confident it out does my brothers MY00 Impreza

i throw the nx into a corner and have the rear slide the slightest yet once ur at this free section its basicaly point and shoot, slight counter steer and nail it.

btw it appears to have LSD, leaves 2 marks when flat changing

the novelty side of the turbo for me would be killing suposedly better cars off the lights.. can u ever imagine a 85 magna hitting 100 in 8.00 ???? mine did.. i made it do so.. and am currently having trouble getting 1500 bucks for it :P
but im out to repeat the same results just with everything x 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:54 am 
Quad T78

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :o