Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:30 pm 
Quad T78

Car: S14a
shadowR wrote:
the novelty side of the turbo for me would be killing suposedly better cars off the lights..

If thats the only reason your spending all that $ and doing all that work its a wast of time.

have you ever driven a FWD with a mild SR20DET you have no traction pull up next to me and i'll be speeding off and you will just be wheel spining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:41 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 93 B13 NX-R
its strange how opinions vary..

unfortunately alot of these forums are extremely biased to rwd cars..
obviously the way u drive it will change everything, no one said u need to dump it off the lights to get it moving.
its the same kind of principal with understeer and oversteer.. noo dont buy an FF car :O ull have infinate understeer and never beat a FR car...... WRONG what they mean to say is on a track both cars set up properly the FR never stood a chance. ofcoarse its highly debateable the FR will get more traction off the line, for obvious reasons..

it aint all drift and slide in the world of fast cars, yet like most sheep people generaly follow the pack

jaydee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:07 pm 
Quad T78

shadowR wrote:
its strange how opinions vary.unfortunately alot of these forums are extremely biased to rwd cars...

Funny that a silvia forum is biased to rwd what about that.

shadowR wrote:
obviously the way u drive it will change everything, no one said u need to dump it off the lights to get it moving.

No you dont have to dump it but hi power fwd cars tend to wheel spin a lot as when you move foward the wheight is going to the back of the car.

shadowR wrote:
it aint all drift and slide in the world of fast cars, yet like most sheep people generaly follow the pack

Your calling me a sheep and your doing a fwd SR20DET wow how new. Good on ya next car you should do some thing new like putting a 13B in datsun or turn an 808 in to a rx there is nothing wrong with any of the above just like swaping a CA for an SR is all good but calling me a sheep when your doing the normall thing is pretty funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:21 pm 
Banned

Car: S13 Silvia S-tune
i think shadowR's idea is pretty reasonable and good.

He had an intial power goal of 120rwkw, which is nothing for an SR-T, and probably not such a big deal in a front wheel drive car-especially if its got an all round decent suspension upgrade not to mention an lsd+probably decent wheels& tyres to boot.

Quote:
but calling me a sheep when your doing the normall thing is pretty funny.

strive to be different, just like everyone else ! (ruthlessly stolen from scathings signature)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:36 pm 
Quad T78

Nismodified wrote:
i think shadowR's idea is pretty reasonable and good.

Yeah its a good idea but as he said hes doing it to beat other cars at the lights is pretty stupid but hey its fun and we all do it.

Some times I dont make any sence at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:38 pm 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
You only have to look as far as the type R integras to find a fine example of a FWD car.
They are as brilliant as the NX/Pulsar is boring.
Thats not intended to offend pulsar owners. Its mearly an observation from the thousands I have driven stock and modified.
I have built/driven ALOT of FWD turbo and NA cars, while yes they drive well and can be made to handle its no where near as easy to set them up nor to shift/distribute weight mid corner etc.

Quote:
nobody knew what they were looking at honnestly, me and my brother are the type of guys that push the cars to their all out limits.. i had my old car (85 magna) matching the corner speed of my friends S14.. both cars could clock a certain S bend in our area at a maximum of 130 kph and still hold to the road well. im scared to find out what this NX can do.. from what ive driven the car at the moment im confident it out does my brothers MY00 Impreza

Comments like that really won't win you friends nor repect around this sort of forum. People on here tend to not be impressed by people bragging about their driving capabilities. Not speaking for the others but I take everyone at face value. You get on circuit and actually out drive me/others I respect behind a wheel and ill ackowledge that you can steer a vehicle.

Your idea for 120Kw is sound however personally for that goal id stick with a cranky NA set-up. Like fergo has said 120Kw is not overly hard to obtain and will retain the bullet proof nature of the vehicle.
I don't know your plans for the car (track work etc) but even with 120Kw at the wheels majority of the others are going to drive past you coming out most corners of wakefield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:41 pm 
T04 Hybrid

it was a generalisation and an example at that. i didnt aim to call YOU a sheep in particular so dont get ur nickers in a knot.

alot of people may have done these fwd det conversion before although with what aim? alot of people have bought rwd cars but with what aim? YEAH LETS GO DRIFTING WOOHOO................ yet can these people drift?? and do they have 5% of the funding needed to make a serious drift car? or do they just destroy perfectly good cars trying to join the crowd.. behhhhhhhhhhh???

my aim isnt to join the crowd its to do something I want to do, like nismodified said. im aiming at 120 kw atw as a figure not behhhhhhh 200 atw like most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:44 pm 
Quad T88

Lattest trend is knobs wanting 300Kw in a daily driven chassis.
Funny stuff really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:45 pm 
Quad T78

What makes you think every one here drifts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:53 pm 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Risking wrote:
Lattest trend is knobs wanting 300Kw in a daily driven chassis.
Funny stuff really

You've been visiting SAU :) 240rwkw is enough of a handful for me for now.

Don't worry too much shadowR, you came with a realistic goal and got some good answers before the whole thing fell apart.

Imagine if you asked about fitting an rb20 :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:54 pm 
Quad T88

There are bugger all "drifters" on here. There are a bucket load or wannabe drifters here that have never been on a circuit and still think they are some sort of gun driver.

I have tried my hand a drifting and ill admit Its hard and I was not great at it. I have my attributes and drifting is not one of them funnily enough.

Don't mention RB20's around here. Im going to start locking every thread that has the word RB20 in it :P
Hmm then we would be without and threads though :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:17 pm 
T04 Hybrid

your right i did get some fantastic responses, these are great forums honnestly. i may be new although the speed of replies and how much information is given across is great.

im just a little fed up hearing people preech FR and holor drift like its some sort of joke.
Risking you and me both have tried it, i wasnt that great either got to say.. i ended up using the S14 in 3rd gear when i would normalyt use 2nd toi minimise wheel spin. in the end it was a faster result. i like going cross suburb in ridiculous time, its my aim, its my downfall...
license returns april 06 -_-...

so who HAS done a fwd DET conversion?
what power figures did it have?
and how was it to drive?

lets clarify this from experienced people so we can sleep easy tonight :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:00 pm 
Quad T78

shadowR wrote:
so who HAS done a fwd DET conversion?
what power figures did it have?
and how was it to drive?
lets clarify this from experienced people so we can sleep easy tonight :lol:

I have done one in an N14 out of a U13 with two other mates on another mates car 1st and only conversion ive ever done i was a 2nd year at the time but they where out of there time and had done it once befor and had done a 20V in to a early rolla. Cant remember how many rwk it was 2 years ago but the thing wheel span very easy it had factory managment and a bleed valve to begine with out of the U13 we had a bit of trouble at the begineing as the U13 was an auto so with a manual box it stalled also the 1st box was just out of a NA SR and shit it self pretty fast but he had it rebuilt to handle the power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:11 pm 
Quad T88

I have done about 5-6 FWD DET conversion with various build stages.

The most extreme is an N15 SSS with a GTiR donk, fully built and making in excess of 280Kw now. Its not a drivable car and is running nittos on the front as far as im aware.

Most of them are more sedate builds with mild T28, FMIC and exhaust mods making around 170-200Kw. They are hard to drive fast and personally I don't like them but I got paid to build them so what the hey.

I have also built a pair of NA N14 SSS'. One used a GTiR throttle set-up that worked extremely well. It used aggressive cams, and a bit of head work which I did myself, and slightly higher compression (cant rememeber exact ration now)
This one made 116Kw and was a ball of fun to drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:30 pm 
T04 Hybrid

sounds like my old magna.. webber carb big cam full exhaust recod head slightly raised comp aircleaner extractors.... got it from factory 12.4 0-100 to a 8.00 0-100

big improovement. ill consider repeating such mods.