Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:09 pm 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
'bout time you posted here :P

The nice thing about the Garrett turbos is that all the specs are actually available, unlike most others.

It's certainly a big step from any of the bolt on style turbos, but it certainly makes some power :)

Post subject: zz
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:54 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
Quote:
Maybe the Tomei B8446 might be worthy. A Frankenstien turbo that one is...

I have considered changing to a ARMS turbine. Which rear housing A/R would you use on a B8446 ? Probably not worth the effort. i'll just keep ringing the yell out of the GTRS for a bit longer. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:47 am 
T51 Hybrid

Car: 200SX
Yeah I've been browsing for quite some time but never really signed up and posted until now!

Ive got this idea to get the T3 GT30 based turbos happening with an internal gate on the stock manifold. Might post up some ideas of how I'd go about it tomorrow.

Oh and the B8446, Tomei's website only shows the 0.86? I didn't know if any other housing was available.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-catal ... MSkit.html

Post subject: Re: zz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:35 am 
Takumi

blacksx wrote:
i'll just keep ringing the yell out of the GTRS for a bit longer. :D :D :D

you could try a .86 housing on the GTRS maybe?

Post subject: zz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:13 pm 
T03 Hybrid

Car: S15
considering wheather to try the 0.68 rear housing off a 2835 pro S or the 0.73 off the T25 3037s.

I have looked at low mounting the T3 3071 with an external gate but there is not enough room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:17 pm 
T51 Hybrid

I doubt any of those housing would work because the turbine size is different to the GT-RS.

You'd need to pick up a GT28 rear housing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:03 pm 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Yep, I agree with busky, I'm yet to see a these housing designed to fit the ns111 wheel

Shane - I can't emphasise enough how much research and planning went into your engine. While there are a few bits in there that just aren't needed basically everything was selected with a very clear view of the goal and chosen to compliment each other. That's why it works well, it wasn't just chucked together as things went on, it was a complete build from scratch with everything done the right way first time. I fear that if you start trying to hack about the edges you'll take the whole package backwards. If you do want the grunt I'd urge you not to do it by halves, pull the whole turboside off, sell it complete and we can do it properly using a high mounted ext gate 3071.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:31 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Alright here is my 'slice and dice' proposition to see if I can get a GT3071 or GT30R low mounted on a stock manifold.

[1] So we start off by selecting the appropriate turbo with the T3 housing. I would pick the "5 bolt T3 rear housing for internal... wastegate use".
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=GRT

[2] Now we need to buy the internal wastegate mechanism;
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=FLS

or opting for a V-Band exit;

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=WGT

[3] Of course the stock manifold is a T2 flange, so we need an adapter;
http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/category15_1.htm

And low and behold, we might have something. The only thing I can see wrong is there just wont be enough room due to the engine mount!

Or alternatively it may be an option for those who do not want to use an external gate on these T3 turbos. Of course I've not inserted stuff for the water lines or actuator but they aren't an important atm. Hmmm what do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm 
Takumi

I think you'll run into engine mount clearance problems, especially when using an adapter on the manifold.
You can always get the manifold modified to have a T3 flange (which is what I did to run an RB25 turbo), but I think it'll still have clearance problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:46 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
Busky2k wrote:
..Hmmm what do you guys think?

i think stock manifold for anything bar the stock turbo is just a waste :P

im curious about the 2 last turbine housings they have listed on this link:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=BCS

omg or anyone else, do you have any experience or thoughts on the split pulse .78 a/r housing listed ? would it give similiar response to the .64 a/r housing because of the split pulse design, yet have more headroom for flow because of the larger a/r ?

and is this v-band thing that ive never heard of before, just a different dump pipe mounting option ? pro's and con's other then mounting convenience ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:05 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Yeah. I'll have to measure up how much clearance there will be with the stock manifold. But I'm liking this idea. I just don't like high mount for defect/sleeper appeal reasons. Then again does the HKS GT3037 (T2 styles) fit low mount? Thats a large turbo too.

mokompri, the stock manifold isn't rubbish. Its actually not that bad really.

Also I believe unless your manifold is split pulse, eg Tomei Expreme, a split pulse housing is a waste of time. Also V-Band is just a new way to 'clamp' things together, instead of using nuts and bolts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:16 pm 
Twin T04

Car: green datto
Quick comment on the slice and dice option - personally I wouldn't bother as you're ditching the components which you most want. Hmm, that's a bit short and rude, I'll post a bit more tonight, I'm trying to sneak out of work atm and as it will be the first day in some time I've left work on the same calendar day I started I'm fairly eager to bugger off before anyone collars me

V-band - I was always under the impression it was quite an old way of doing things. Very useful as it's quick and easy to "unbolt" the dump and really handy when you're designing the dump as you can easily rotate it

re split pulse - they are good however as busky mentioned a waste of time unless the manifold is designed for a split pulse turbo (so totally divided). From the people I've spoken to it works real well on a 6, bit of a waste of time on a 4 however I've never played with them so who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:22 pm 
Quad T66

Car: 200sx
its not rubbish, but its also not providing optimal efficiency. you can do better and thats all that matters :)

yeah i realise you need a split manifold as well, in a comparison i was assuming both housings would be in an optimal arrangement, ie with the split manifold on the .78 a/r.

edit: interesting, didnt know such a clamp on thing existed for bolting up the exhaust.

i thought split pulse was more beneficial for 4 cyl over 6 cyl because theres less pulses per rotation ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:55 pm 
Takumi

V band fittings are pretty much the standard on diesel turbos and anything where frequent servicing is required.

Generally they won't seal as well as a bolted flange with a gasket, so they're not really suitable for anything running a catalytic converter and having to pass stringent emissions regulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:49 am 
T51 Hybrid

OK looks like I'd have to cop the bullet and go a high mount. Or a custom low mount which sits up higher which begs the question; Will the internal gate idea still work?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next