Silvia Club of NSW

Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:43 am 
Token Old Guy

Car: 180SX
In the US during the 70's a few drag racers exerimented with putting turbo/s in front of the GM blower.

My question...

How do you think it would work in the real world (street) putting a centrifagul blower in front of a turbo. Obviously the turbo would be a lot bigger then the factory T25 / 28 to make it worth while.

With both the supercharger and the turbo being centrifagul, it is highly unlikely the would have the exact same boost pattern. Do you think there would be a way of making this work?

I am not planning on trying this I am just exercising my imagination / extending my knowlege.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:12 am 
Takumi

Car: Silvia
I think it'd work, but you'd be better off with just the turbo.

Having been in a couple of cars with centrifugal blowers I really don't know why people bother with them.

The problem is that centrifugal compressors work on a squared ratio, so you need 4 times the rpm to double the pressure.

The result is that you get no boost at all till mid rpm, and then it ramps up to dangerous levels at redline.
You either have to gear it to run fast enough to make boost down low, then then bleed off 50-75% of the pressure in the top end (possibly over revving the compressor, and certainly generating massive parasitic drag on the engine's power) or you need to gear it to provide peak boost at peak rpm, which results in a feeling like the world's laggiest turbo setup.

Since a turbo is driven by exhaust gas, which is easily controlled by the wastegate, it's easy to get it making boost at reasonably low rpm, without overrevving or creating huge drag on the engine at higher revs.
Since the turbo is very load sensitive it will spool up fast when it's not making pressure, and once it is making pressure the engine will be making more power, and more exhaust gas to spin the turbo, so you end up with a pretty wide usable power band.

Using a turbo with a positive displacement blower makes a bit more sense, since it can make boost from any rpm, and when it's running out of efficiency the turbo can take over.
It's still a complex setup though, usually better acheived by a well matched turbo on its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:14 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
You really don't like lag do you :)

It's been done on a few street cars but its more of an oddity than anything else.

In theory the screw blower is really good at the bottom end and the turbo is good at the top end. As an added bonus the blower will improve the turbo response and bring it on sooner.

The problem that most people have with the setup is removing the restriction on the intake that the blower creates at the top end. Most of the dual setups i have seen use an intake for the turbo and an intake for the blower and some sort of bypass valve that flicks over at a set rpm. The blower is normally switched off at higher rpm with a centrifugal clutch arrangement.

This means that you have to run map based ecu's and have intake piping that looks like spaghetti, not to mention trying to find a place to mount the blower without losing A/C or power steering (and still being able to clase the bonnet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:43 am 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
There are a few factory cars that run this setup. The Nissan March is one that springs to mind.
There are some serious space limitations with a setup like this though

Cut and paste from another site:

Quote:
I want to know why you cannot combine a turbo charger with a supercharger? Has it ever been tried before to your knowledge? Robert Lawndale, CA.

Known as twinchargers, the Lancia rally cars employed both a turbo and a supercharger. HKS even offered an upgrade for the Toyota MR2 with a supercharger-into-turbo kit. Nissan introduced a twincharged car, the front wheel drive March. The March (Nissan Micra in Europe) was originally offered in 1982 and is still around today in Japan and Europe, where there is also a Nismo version with intake, exhaust, suspension, and Rays rims (they get all the tasty cars). A turbo model was introduced in 1985, but the twincharged version was available from 1989-1992 and only sold in Japan and Malaysia. The March Super Turbo version had an inline 4 electronically fuel-injected 930cc single overhead cam turbo and supercharged engine, the MA09ERT. Only 110 hp at stock 0.7 bars of boost (about 10.3 psi), it was still practical to almost double the boost to get an extra 20-30 hp. At only 1700 pounds, the Super Turbo was capable of 0-60 in only 7.5 seconds. Is twincharging possible? Yes. Likely to see on a production car or cost effective? Not usually. It's hard enough trying to fit one forced induction system in an engine bay that trying to get two in a car already on the market would probably take some Crisco, a sledge hammer, and some funky body work. You can produce a kit where the turbo output powers the supercharger or vice versa. Powering a supercharger into a turbo takes advantage of low end spool since the supercharger is powered off the crank and doesn't have as much lag as larger turbos typically do. The supercharger blows air facing the turbo. However at high rpm, the turbo will be flowing too much air and there is a lot of backpressure, creating a vacuum. You would either have to disengage the supercharger as the turbo spooled up or add an outside source of air to power the turbo. Roots blowers, although not too efficient at high rpm, are cheaper and work well at low rpm, making it a most cost effective option. A variable speed centrifugal supercharger is a slightly pricier option as well. Use a higher boost setting in the low end and a low boost setting on the top end to let the turbo take over. Powering a turbo into a supercharger fools the turbo into thinking the engine is a greater displacement, but power is consumed by the spooled up supercharger and SC's are usually less efficient compressors than turbos. One easier option (both mechanically and on your wallet) is to use nitrous oxide to power a large, laggy turbo in the bottom end.

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 pm 
Token Old Guy

Yes I think you are all right a centrifagul supercharger wouldn't work because of the rate and way it produces boost so if you used anything it would have to be the positive displacement of a roots or screw type blower but then it suffers from complicated piping / boost problems.

What about like on the tractor pulls where they have turbo feed into another turbo? they use up to 3 turbos in series. this might be a better way of getting more bottom end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:28 pm 
Overlord
Overlord

Car: DeathWagon + Sil80 + Nugget
At tractor pulls, they are not using staged turbo's to gain response as much as they are using it to allow them to run ridiculous amount of boost through their engines.

There are obviously packaging issues with this approach too, as each stage needs to be intercooled or the air coming out of the final turbo will be scorching. The tractor guys use water injection between stages to overcome this problem, but i guess a w-to-a intercooler would work well in this application.

The tractor pullers run 200+psi manifold pressure.. :o

Sil80 - SR20DET 231rwkw
Silvia Race Nugget - SR20DET 225rwkw
Stagea - DeathWagon - RB25DET 185rwkw.

My Lame Gallery: http://www.toomuchboost.com/gallery/main.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:25 pm 
Token Old Guy

too_much_boost wrote:
At tractor pulls, they are not using staged turbo's to gain response as much as they are using it to allow them to run ridiculous amount of boost through their engines.

There are obviously packaging issues with this approach too, as each stage needs to be intercooled or the air coming out of the final turbo will be scorching. The tractor guys use water injection between stages to overcome this problem, but i guess a w-to-a intercooler would work well in this application.

The tractor pullers run 200+psi manifold pressure.. :o

True 200 PSI might be a little excessive for the SR20 stock internals but I don't see why the same thinking couldn't be used to pick up some bottom end instead.

Yes would require some fancy pipe work but probably nothing worse than a blower setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:35 pm 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
HKS made a twincharger kit for the 4AGZE corolla engines. they're supercharged from factory,and the HKS kit both upped the blower's boost level,and had a turbo added to the mix to give extra power in the top end,where the blower tapers off.
they weren't overly successful,partly due to the piping nightmare that's required,and because of the cost-for-gain ratio.

there are plenty of GZE's out there that have been converted to turbocharging by removing the blower,and they make significantly more power than an SC12 or SC14 ever could,with an almost as good response curve.

stick to a small-to-mid sized ball bearing turbo,and you'll be fine. a T28 on an SR20 is NOT laggy. if you can't deal with the lag a 2530 or such has,go buy a v8.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:39 pm 
Token Old Guy

Everyone I have spoken with has said that the T28 is the best compromise for power and the lag factor, they go as far as saying it would even improve response over the factory T25.

What would the maximum boost be out of a BB T28 before it looses efficency / comes apart??

Do you use the factory BB T28 or an aftermarket one???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:52 pm 
Takumi

the factory one's pretty much identical to the aftermarket ones (but there are other versions available).

Generally once you're running over 16psi or so you'll be running a bit out of efficiency, but with cams and the rest of the usual stuff that's going to be making comfortably over 200rwkw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:56 pm 
Quad T78

182Go wrote:
What would the maximum boost be out of a BB T28 before it looses efficency / comes apart??

Sounds like you have a hang up on what boost pressure you want to run. You should make a power target and try to achieve it with as little boost as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:03 pm 
T51 Hybrid

Car: Carless :'(
I had a discussion with one of the blokes at work about this topic a few weeks back...he said it's something that has always facinated him and one thing that he wouldn't mind attempting to do not just to see how much power you could make, but more so how smooth and powerful you could make the car.

The way we figured it is you would want a supercharger to make boost right off idle and hold reliably until around 3-4,000rpm by which time the turbo should be making enough pressure to take over the induction. The system would need to be designed in a way that the supercharger is disengaged once the turbo has built up enough pressure and that somehow the piping to the s/c is blocked and the turbo unblocked to stop unnessacery pressure loss in piping that doesn't need to be pressurised.

It is an interesting topic and if you sit down and have a good think about it it would be indeed possible to do, the fabrication process would be a bit of a headache but would be intereting to see how well it would perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:26 am 
Token Old Guy

Gunmetal wrote:
182Go wrote:

Sounds like you have a hang up on what boost pressure you want to run. You should make a power target and try to achieve it with as little boost as possible.

No not hung up on a specific boost number, just trying to work out what the point on no benefit / loosing efficiency kicks in and just how hard it will go before the factory impeller comes apart, I like to have some headroom on the parts I use and to know what the margin is.

If I can get 16lbs like Dumhed suggests is possible that would be fine. I would rather the bottom end response than more boost and have it laggy.

How do the 256 deg / 264 deg cams affect the bottom end response over the factory ones??

hobzta wrote:
I had a discussion with one of the blokes at work about this topic a few weeks back...he said it's something that has always facinated him and one thing that he wouldn't mind attempting to do not just to see how much power you could make, but more so how smooth and powerful you could make the car.

The way we figured it is you would want a supercharger to make boost right off idle and hold reliably until around 3-4,000rpm by which time the turbo should be making enough pressure to take over the induction. The system would need to be designed in a way that the supercharger is disengaged once the turbo has built up enough pressure and that somehow the piping to the s/c is blocked and the turbo unblocked to stop unnessacery pressure loss in piping that doesn't need to be pressurised.

It is an interesting topic and if you sit down and have a good think about it it would be indeed possible to do, the fabrication process would be a bit of a headache but would be intereting to see how well it would perform.

I think the idea of running both is great but in the real world it is not all that feasible. Piping and temps are the real problem not so much the idea or concept. As a lot of people have pointed out a properly setup turbo with parts optimised to help out bottom end power is the only real practical solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:41 am 
Takumi

yeah you also can't run much boost at very low rpm without running into detonation issues so if super low rpm torque is the main aim a larger engine is the best way to acheive it.

The 256/264 (or preferably 264/264) cams don't affect bottom end much at all. They pretty much drive the same but extend the power band in the top end so it doesn't taper off as early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:48 am 
Token Old Guy

DumHed wrote:
yeah you also can't run much boost at very low rpm without running into detonation issues so if super low rpm torque is the main aim a larger engine is the best way to acheive it.

The other thing to consider when I started this thoerectical discussion was that they were using the twin setup on drag cars. Which operate at WOT from the line and dont back off until the other end.

What might work on the strip may not work all that well in a daily driver without a crap load of work. And generally the more complex it becomes the less effecient thing are because of compromise.