Why drive when you can drift?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GT28R?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:17 pm 
T25

Car: Cordia
hi,

was wondering if a GT28R is a direct bolt on to a 180sx (sr20det redtop?). like can i use all exisitin water/oil lines? or do i have to modify them?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:47 pm 
T25

Car: 200sx
yes it will bolt straight on. gt28r turbo is the same as a t28bb turbo. same specs but just diff names. gt series are bb where as t series are not.

hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:29 pm 
Quad T78

Car: Silvia
Yes it will work, but the Inlet snout will need swapping to an S15 style one and if Im not mistaken you need a S15 oil drain pipe for it too. Water lines fit after a bit of bending, but my mechanic ( :lol: ) tells me braided ones from somewhere like HPinabox.com make the job a lot easier.

I have this turbine on my car and we had to do the things listed above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:22 am 
Quad T88

Car: S13 silvia, J31 maxima
Yeah gunmetal is right. You will also have to rotate the compressor and exhaust housings a fair bit.

The braided lines are a very good idea as you have to bend and twist the stock lines and they have the oppertunity to kink if you go to far or crack even.

Also remember you wil be needing new gaskets manifold to turbo, manifold to head and turbo to dump.

Also if you re-use the stock pipes you will need new washers for the banjo bolts that go into the block for the oil and water lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:08 pm 
Quad T88

Car: *insert car here*
how well would this turbo run on a ca18det ?
would the stan. internals last long at low boost and every now and then run high boost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 pm 
T04 Hybrid

Car: 180SX
whyte wrote:
how well would this turbo run on a ca18det ?
would the stan. internals last long at low boost and every now and then run high boost?

When I bought my 180SX it was a CA 18DET.

The first thing I did is bolt on a GT28R and HKS EVC and B&P intercooler etc.

The engine lasted about 20 minutes on 15lb.

That is why I went the S15 SR20 upgrade, on that engine with some other mods it runs unreal.

PJ

S15 powered drift 180SX - sold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:57 pm 
Twin T66

Car: CA18DET 180sx
Where is the best/cheapest place to buy either a GT28R/S or T28bb Turbo from???

I have spoken to a few places for brand new turbos, and I am looking at $1250 before I even think about fitting, then another $700 for fitting, which pushes them way out of my range at the moment, only issue is I think the current turbo is on it's last legs, so I need to act fast in replacing, and dont want to get a shitty T25 again...

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:03 pm 
T28

Car: Red 1990
Turbo_Brian wrote:
Where is the best/cheapest place to buy either a GT28R/S or T28bb Turbo from???

I have spoken to a few places for brand new turbos, and I am looking at $1250 before I even think about fitting, then another $700 for fitting, which pushes them way out of my range at the moment, only issue is I think the current turbo is on it's last legs, so I need to act fast in replacing, and dont want to get a shitty T25 again...

B.

$700 for fitting! Eek.

I'm no genius and fitted mine myself in less than a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:01 am 

Car: WGNC34,S14,AE86
$1200 is not expensive for a new ball bearing turbo. if you think that's too much,buy a second hand one,as it's what they're worth.

as for $700 for fitting,that can be trimmed significantly if you can do it yourself,or have friends that can help you.
braided lines can be obtained from earl's as well. make your own up from their parts,it works out cheaper.

Justin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:50 am 
Admin Team
Admin Team

Car: Hello Kitty!
Or just get lines made up by pirtek, may last 2 sets have come from pirtek an i have had no leaks and no complaints about quality or fitting.

For 3 braided lines it cost me 135 or so the first time round and my last oil feed (I went for a higher quality rubber hose and shielded it) cost 40.

Most of the money will be in the fittings and adapters if you get screw in rather than banjo type fittings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:52 am 
Twin T66

fergo308 wrote:
$1200 is not expensive for a new ball bearing turbo. if you think that's too much,buy a second hand one,as it's what they're worth.

It's not the price of the turbo so much, I know you need to pay good money for quality, it's more paying almost the same again to have it fitted...

Just wondering, is it a straioght bolt over swap, or will I need different connectors and other bits, because once I start removing stuff, I cant just hop in the car and go get bits....

Might be worth paying for someone to fit the mongrel anyway, that way there is some assurance that it's done right, and the people I am thinking of also have insurance if anything goes wrong which will cover the car and any damages related to their mistakes.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:19 am 
Token Old Guy

Like the other guys are saying $700 for fitting is a bit stiff. If you are well organised and have a few hand tools you could do it yourself in a weekend even with little experience. External items are always a good way to get your hands dirty and gain experience. The main thing to look out for in a job like this is leaks other than that it is just unbolting and bolting stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:20 am 
Twin T66

I am not to bad with the tools under the hood, having done injectors, coils, o2 sensor, doing all my own oil and filter changes, replacing all the hoses and other stuff, I am fairly confident.

The only thing that worries me is that I unbolt everything, and find that the stock oil feed or water pipe is about 1mm to friggin short, and leaves me having to pick up a new hose, and walk a long way to get it.

If it's unbolt and re-bolt, then I can do that over the space of a day or 2, and take it to a friend's place where they have more tools than your average mechanics shop.

B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:42 pm 
Token Old Guy

If you were to get some braided lines made up by a reputable company that has made the lines previously and have them ready for when you do the job there is no reason you should get stuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:55 pm 
Twin T66

pj200 wrote:
whyte wrote:
When I bought my 180SX it was a CA 18DET.

The first thing I did is bolt on a GT28R and HKS EVC and B&P intercooler etc.

The engine lasted about 20 minutes on 15lb.

After the turbo upgrade:

Was the engine pinging?
Was the engine running lean?
what was the compression on the engine?
what condition was it in?

The reason I ask is because I have seen a car in my cousin's workshop that came in as SR, updgraded the turbo for Dyno shootouts, and ended up blowing the SR apart.

They ended up stroking a CA, and using this for their power engine, and have never looked back.

This thing pushes well over 350rwKw, and is completely undrivable, the power goes from 60Kw at 2,500 to 300Kw at 3,500, and get wheel spin 1st through to 4th.

This person is a CA person, heavily hates SR20, because he bought his car originally with a CA, had the transplant done, only to go back to the "tougher" engine.

Upon diagnostics, the SR engine was pinging it's arse off, running lean and hot, but was otherwise a good engine, compression for that engine before the turbocharger upgrade was from 168 - 171PSI, but the pinging and running as lean as an athlete fooked the engine.

B.